How can you determine the latitude of your house?

• Thread starter wdlang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latitude
In summary, people have been trying to determine their latitude without the use of a GPS for a long time. Some methods include measuring the height of the northern pole star and adding a number from a table, while others rely on a Foucault pendulum.
wdlang
can anyone determine the latitude of his house without using a GPS?

how people determine the position of a ship in the times of navigation?

this problem has baffled me for a long time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Measure how high the northern pole star is above the horizon and bam!
You have your latitude.

Alternatively, measure how high the sun gets at its highest point on March 21st and you have your colatitude.
On another date you need to add a number from a table.

I like Serena said:
Measure how high the northern pole star is above the horizon and bam!
You have your latitude.

Alternatively, measure how high the sun gets at its highest point on March 21st and you have your colatitude.
On another date you need to add a number from a table.

the first idea is very brilliant

but it has still a little bit flaw

the northen pole star is perfectly in the direction of the rotation axis of the earth

does not there exist a method without reference to anything beyond your scope?

wdlang said:
without reference to anything beyond your scope?

Do you mean mean without looking at the sky?

You might consider a Foucault pendulum.

With reference to your original question, "in times of navigation" people did look at the sky in order to determine their latitude, at least in the "Western world". That's what sextants were for.

Last edited:
jtbell said:
Do you mean mean without looking at the sky?

You might consider a Foucault pendulum.

With reference to your original question, "in times of navigation" people did look at the sky in order to determine their latitude, at least in the "Western world". That's what sextants were for.

ok. but could you determine your latitude in one minute? or even in real time?

suppose on a plane, the latitude is changing quickly all the time

What is exactly the problem you are asking?

I Like Serena gave you an answer, and you changed the question. Then Jtbell gave you an answer and you changed the question. Can you clearly define the question so we don't have a parade of answers and you replying to each one, "No, that's not it".

1. How do you determine the latitude of your house?

Determining the latitude of your house can be done by using a GPS device or by looking up your address on a mapping tool such as Google Maps. You can also use a sextant and a nautical almanac to calculate your latitude based on the position of the stars.

2. What is the easiest way to find the latitude of my house?

The easiest way to find the latitude of your house is by using a mapping tool such as Google Maps. Simply enter your address in the search bar and the latitude will be displayed on the map.

3. Can I use a compass to determine the latitude of my house?

No, a compass can only determine direction, not latitude. To determine latitude, you will need to use a GPS device, mapping tool, or a sextant and nautical almanac.

4. Why is knowing the latitude of my house important?

Knowing the latitude of your house can be important for several reasons. It can help you navigate and find your way, especially if you are traveling to a new location. It can also be useful for determining the amount of daylight you will have, as well as the angle of the sun during different times of the year.

5. Can the latitude of my house change over time?

Yes, due to the Earth's constantly shifting axis, the latitude of your house can change by a few meters over time. However, this change is very small and is unlikely to affect navigation or other practical purposes.