1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph?

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph??

lets say i have the equation y' = 3 + 2y and i make a direction field graph.

I find equilibrium position at y = -3/2.

If question asks me to determine behavior of y as t approaches infinity, isnt this impossible, without solving the equation?

If i follow along the graph so that t is really big, then the graph still looks the same: a horizontal line at y = -3/2, where the slope of graph is zero. So how can i infer anything about y's behavior without first solving for y?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: How can you determine y's behavior from a direction field graph??

No, the graph is NOT "a horizontal line at y= -3/2". That line is a part of the direction field graph and you can conclude from it that "if y= -3/2 for any t then it will remain -3/2 for all t". But what if the initial value of y is NOT -3/2?

What does the direction field graph look like for y> -3/2? If y(0)> -3/2, what happens to y(t)?

What does the direction field look like for y< -3/2? If y(0)< -3/2, what happens to y(t)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook