How can you handle Thai basil's early flowering?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the first episode of Hell's Kitchen airs tomorrow night and people are excited for it. Cyrus loves the show and is psyched for the first show. Chef Ramsay is great and people who like cooking competitions will love the show.
Math Is Hard said:
I'm trying to figure out how they do the casting call.

"Do you think you're an excellent cook, but friends tell you you're horrible? Please call the FOX contestant hotline at..."
Is that a viable method? How about the producers travel around and ask "Who is the best cook around?"

Physics news on Phys.org
OMG, that worthless skanky ho and that rich guy that is in love with himself that tried to serve pre-cooked fish and lied to Ramsay about it slept together.

They're the two worst cooks too.

Evo said:
OMG, that worthless skanky ho and that rich guy that is in love with himself that tried to serve pre-cooked fish and lied to Ramsay about it slept together.
Holy Cow! I'm glad I never spent a second on that Jersey Shore cooking shore!

AAAARRGH, brendan is out YAY! But that ho kelly is still there screwing things up.

AAAAAARRRGGH!

Last edited:
Ok, Masterchef is on. Turbo should enter this.

Evo said:
Ok, Masterchef is on. Turbo should enter this.
I can't travel! I could kick some ***, IMO, but that's a deal-killer. I would love to enter such a competition because it would be fun, and many of the other contestants would have blinders on regarding what you can do to create killer meals. I love to work with whatever is available and see what I can do with it.

Once the summer season is underway, my wife and I can't justify buying any fresh fruits and vegetables from the supermarket. This time of year, my wife's shopping list consists of stuff like toilet paper, vinegar, dog food, eggs, etc. We lean on the garden heavily. Today, we picked peas, beans, broccoli, cukes, raspberries, etc. It was hot out, but the produce needs to be picked.

turbo-1 said:
I can't travel! I could kick some ***, IMO, but that's a deal-killer. I would love to enter such a competition because it would be fun, and many of the other contestants would have blinders on regarding what you can do to create killer meals. I love to work with whatever is available and see what I can do with it.

Once the summer season is underway, my wife and I can't justify buying any fresh fruits and vegetables from the supermarket. This time of year, my wife's shopping list consists of stuff like toilet paper, vinegar, dog food, eggs, etc. We lean on the garden heavily. Today, we picked peas, beans, broccoli, cukes, raspberries, etc. It was hot out, but the produce needs to be picked.
You know, being a cooking competition, I'll bet they would ban personal scents.

It's a quarter of a million dollars turbo. You have the ideas to make it work.

This is something that I could not do.

Evo said:
You know, being a cooking competition, I'll bet they would ban personal scents.

It's a quarter of a million dollars turbo. You have the ideas to make it work.

This is something that I could not do.
I bet that you could make a go at this, Evo.

I can't travel (unless I am willing to drive and camp out all the way) because of problems with fragrance chemicals.

I would love to be involved in a cooking competition in which the contestants were confronted with "surprise" base ingredients. Basically, that defines most of my summers. I never know for sure which produce will "peak" and make me decide whether to try to preserve the food or to fold it into our menu. It's not like someone is tossing me a basket of mangoes and kiwis, but when you get get a surplus of cucumbers, beans, sweet peas, etc, you have to make some change-ups. It's routine to handle the swings in production of the staples, without having to try to preserve every tiny bit of overage.

Pork cheeks? Seriously?

OK, wrong show.. but still!

Ok, I normally don't follow this show, I have seen 15 minutes here and there, but Evo's graphic descriptions of the characters has me intrigued. If this is this year's cast, would you mind pointing out some of these loser's please ? hehe

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3266/hellskitchenp.jpg

Rhody... :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Ok, I normally don't follow this show, I have seen 15 minutes here and there, but Evo's graphic descriptions of the characters has me intrigued. If this is this year's cast, would you mind pointing out some of these loser's please ? hehe

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/3266/hellskitchenp.jpg

Rhody... :-p
No, that's last year.

rhody said:
Ok, Evo, I got the 2011 cast picture, have at it, who is who in your humble estimation ?

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/1733/2011hellskitchen.jpg

Rhody... :biggrin:
Uhm, that's not them, I've never seen those people.

Here is the 2011 cast.

[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5039/hellskitchen2011.png

Rhody, first row second from left, third row, third from right.

Evo said:
Uhm, that's not them, I've never seen those people.

Here is the 2011 cast.

[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5039/hellskitchen2011.png[/QUOTE]
Evo,

The third time is the charm, dish the dirt, who is the rich guy, and who is the skank ? I tuned in last time it aired for about ten minutes, but Ramsey's yelling and screaming gave me a headache. I was tired too, worked on the house in the evening for about four hours, maybe that did it.

Rhody... :blushing:

I'm so behind on episodes. I got to get caught up.

I'm dealing with Hell"s Kitchen this summer. The heat-wave and drought have stalled so many of my plants that things are just not developing in time to be used together. I'm getting cukes, but very slowly, and the dill is lagging badly, so I can only make pickles in very tiny batches (still no dill pickles yet), and I haven't had a single ripe tomato from the garden. Still, no usable chili peppers, either. Whaaaa. :cry:

turbo said:
I'm dealing with Hell"s Kitchen this summer. The heat-wave and drought have stalled so many of my plants that things are just not developing in time to be used together. I'm getting cukes, but very slowly, and the dill is lagging badly, so I can only make pickles in very tiny batches (still no dill pickles yet), and I haven't had a single ripe tomato from the garden. Still, no usable chili peppers, either. Whaaaa. :cry:

Hell's garden??

Math Is Hard said:
Hell's garden??
Yep! I'm trying to water judiciously and urge things along, but the unprecedented heat and drought are fighting me. My wife bought a small pack of fresh dill yesterday, and we have enough cukes to make maybe 3-4 quarts of pickles, but this is ridiculous. I should already have 10-15 quarts in the pantry. My father has latched onto my home-made dill pickles as his "favorite" and they have turned out to be a critical component in my roast-beef subs this summer. It has been so hot, humid and nasty that I have been subsisting on sandwiches, and I'm running through last year's pickles faster than I can produce new ones.

Have you made anymore basil lemonade? I'm still waiting on that recipe!

My post got eaten up by a 504 error! Anyway, after 2 iterations of the Thai basil/lemonade experiments we still haven't had a decent result. I think we have to back up and boil a tea out of the Thai basil to combine with the lemonade. That basil has a nice anise-like flavor, but it's not coming out well in cold infusions. I'll let you know if we can come up with something good.

BTW, do you have Thai basil available locally? Ours is already starting to flower, and I'm not sure how to deal with that. I'd like to pinch off the flowering heads, though through experience I have found that the most flavorful part of the dill plant is the flowering heads. Much richer, nicer flavor than the weed or the seeds.

Back