1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes?

Tags:
  1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can or can't find the bullet? Big difference...

Have you looked into this: http://www.shotspotter.com/

:smile:

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3

anorlunda

The same way you tell the difference between people's voices, or the difference between a motorcycle a car and a truck's sound.

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4
    Sorry I meant in code. So like I want to write a program than an tell the different. Also you can tell the difference between people's voice by find the fundamental frequency right ?

6. Dec 23, 2016 #5

berkeman

Did you look around the ShotSpotter website that I linked to?

7. Dec 23, 2016 #6
    Yeah !! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?

8. Dec 23, 2016 #7

berkeman

I"m sure their code is proprietary, especially the physical location determination part. Did you see if they claim that they can also distinguish rifle/pistol and maybe the approximate caliber?

Have you studied voice recognition software yet? That's a good place to start to learn how to write code to distinguish different sounds.

9. Dec 23, 2016 #8
    wow how do they know where the gun fire is coming from ? This is what I wanted to code...

10. Dec 23, 2016 #9

berkeman

They primarily use time-of-flight to multiple sound detectors, but they also have to do initial testing and calibration of an installation to learn about the echo characteristics and multi-path characteristics. Most of the ShotSpotter installation are in towns and city environments, where there are multiple bounces for most of the acoustic paths.

11. Dec 23, 2016 #10

berkeman

Also, keep in mind that most high-power rifle bullets are supersonic, so they generate a mini-sonic-boom as they travel near the sensors -- it's not just the initial shot sound that goes into figuring out what type of round it is:

http://www.shotspotter.com/technology

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted