btb4198
- 570
- 10
how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.
You can or can't find the bullet? Big difference...btb4198 said:how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.
Sorry I meant in code. So like I want to write a program than an tell the different. Also you can tell the difference between people's voice by find the fundamental frequency right ?anorlunda said:The same way you tell the difference between people's voices, or the difference between a motorcycle a car and a truck's sound.
Yeah ! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?berkeman said:Did you look around the ShotSpotter website that I linked to?
I"m sure their code is proprietary, especially the physical location determination part. Did you see if they claim that they can also distinguish rifle/pistol and maybe the approximate caliber?btb4198 said:Yeah ! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?
They primarily use time-of-flight to multiple sound detectors, but they also have to do initial testing and calibration of an installation to learn about the echo characteristics and multi-path characteristics. Most of the ShotSpotter installation are in towns and city environments, where there are multiple bounces for most of the acoustic paths.btb4198 said:wow how do they know where the gun fire is coming from ? This is what I wanted to code...
Unlike counter-sniper sensors which can only measure a limited range of sounds—the supersonic signature of a sniper’s round with a known ballistic coefficient—SST’s wide area protection system measures the full range of impulsive sounds (sounds which are explosive in nature) found in urban weaponry, from sub and supersonic impulses to explosions.