Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes?

Tags:
  1. Dec 23, 2016 #1
    how can you identify the type of gun by the sound it makes ? Like if you had a recording of a gun shot but you Can't see the gun and you can find the bullet.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You can or can't find the bullet? Big difference...

Have you looked into this: http://www.shotspotter.com/

:smile:

4. Dec 23, 2016 #3

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The same way you tell the difference between people's voices, or the difference between a motorcycle a car and a truck's sound.

5. Dec 23, 2016 #4
    Sorry I meant in code. So like I want to write a program than an tell the different. Also you can tell the difference between people's voice by find the fundamental frequency right ?

6. Dec 23, 2016 #5

berkeman

Did you look around the ShotSpotter website that I linked to?

7. Dec 23, 2016 #6
    Yeah !! How do in code that ? What algorithms are they using ?

8. Dec 23, 2016 #7

berkeman

I"m sure their code is proprietary, especially the physical location determination part. Did you see if they claim that they can also distinguish rifle/pistol and maybe the approximate caliber?

Have you studied voice recognition software yet? That's a good place to start to learn how to write code to distinguish different sounds.

9. Dec 23, 2016 #8
    wow how do they know where the gun fire is coming from ? This is what I wanted to code...

10. Dec 23, 2016 #9

berkeman

They primarily use time-of-flight to multiple sound detectors, but they also have to do initial testing and calibration of an installation to learn about the echo characteristics and multi-path characteristics. Most of the ShotSpotter installation are in towns and city environments, where there are multiple bounces for most of the acoustic paths.

11. Dec 23, 2016 #10

berkeman

Also, keep in mind that most high-power rifle bullets are supersonic, so they generate a mini-sonic-boom as they travel near the sensors -- it's not just the initial shot sound that goes into figuring out what type of round it is:

http://www.shotspotter.com/technology

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted