How can you live in New York?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the high housing prices in New York City, with the average being $1.3 million. People speculate on how others can afford to live there, with some suggesting that only the rich and famous can buy property in the city. Others mention that normal people either rent apartments or live outside the city. The conversation also includes jokes about marriage proposals and financial status.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So i was reading this article and i saw that the average housing price in New York is $1.3 million

How can people live in that city? People here in California are damn well near going on murderous streaks of rage because houses are hitting $400,000! I couldn't imagine working 50 years of my life to simply buy an average house/apartment there. How do people do this??

Physics news on Phys.org
Normal people either rent apartments in the city or live out of the city, they aren't buying in the city. That's for the rich and famous. :tongue2:

yes thank you Moonie

Now back to my PM box to clear out the gazillion messages I've received for marriage proposals from all the PF ladies here :grumpy:

For the last time.. I do not have millions in my pants!

cronxeh said:
For the last time.. I do not have millions in my pants!
Oh, so many ways to respond to this and I just can't make up my mind which to say. :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
How can people live in that city?
They're called Long Island and New Jersey. Although, my house on LI increased in value by an INSANE amount in just two years. I wasn't complaining when I sold.

Pengwuino said:
So i was reading this article and i saw that the average housing price in New York is $1.3 million

There's quite a few apartments in the city that if you're lucky, would only cost you $3000,000-$400,000. But they're usually one bedroom :yuck:

Moonbear said:
Normal people either rent apartments in the city or live out of the city, they aren't buying in the city. That's for the rich and famous. :tongue2:
Moonbear, but to me, you are famous and rich. :D I think so

1. How do you afford to live in New York City?

Living in New York can be expensive, but there are ways to make it more affordable. Many people choose to live in smaller apartments, have roommates to split the cost, or live in areas outside of Manhattan where rent is cheaper. It's also important to budget and be mindful of your spending.

2. Is it safe to live in New York City?

New York City is generally a safe city to live in, but like any big city, it's important to be aware of your surroundings and take precautions. Areas with higher crime rates tend to be in more isolated or less populated areas, so it's best to research the neighborhood you plan to live in before moving.

3. What is the cost of living like in New York City?

The cost of living in New York City is high, but it varies depending on the neighborhood and lifestyle. Rent, groceries, and transportation tend to be more expensive compared to other cities. However, salaries are typically higher in New York City to compensate for the cost of living.

4. What are the best neighborhoods to live in New York City?

This is a subjective question as it depends on personal preferences and budget. Some popular neighborhoods for young professionals include the West Village, Brooklyn Heights, and the Upper East Side. It's important to research and visit different neighborhoods to find the best fit for you.

5. How do you navigate public transportation in New York City?

New York City has a complex and extensive public transportation system, including the subway, buses, and trains. It's important to familiarize yourself with the maps and schedules, and invest in a MetroCard for easier and cheaper access. Many New Yorkers also choose to walk or bike to get around the city.