Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How charge acceleration is dependent on radiation of electromagnetic wave?

1. Apr 17, 2012 #1
    Is there any mathematical relation between the value of charge(ie proton/electron) and radiation which is being emitted? I m sure energy is conserved in this process so does that mean electron decelerates in process of radiation ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Radiation which is emitted where?
    If you have a particle with a larger charge (but otherwise identical), you can expect that it radiates more photons than another particle.

Energy conservation is a completely different area.

Deceleration is the same as acceleration (in terms of "increases absolute velocity"), just for different observers.

A free electron cannot emit a real photon without violating energy or momentum conservation. However, it can exchange virtual photons or emit real photons if more particles are involved in the process.

4. Apr 17, 2012 #3
    Well I've read that a accelerated charge releases EM wave..By doing so,charge loses its energy right? Which inturn results in decrease of velocity(deceleration as I meant)..So whats the relation which holds with energy released in this process and amount of acceleration..Hope u get my claim..THanking you

5. Apr 17, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

I think you mean synchrotron radiation. Yes, accelerated electrons can radiate away energy and therefore become slower (more important: less energetic).

6. Apr 20, 2012 #5
    Does this mean violation of conservation of energy..?!?!!

7. Apr 20, 2012 #6

mfb

2016 Award

No, it means that a free electron does not emit a real photon.
    Note that an electron in an electromagnetic field is not free, but can interact with other photons. The process "electron+photon -> electron+photon with different momenta" is possible.

8. Apr 20, 2012 #7
    The electron can be accelerated (decelerated) either transversely (synchrotron radiation) or longitudinally. Whenever there is acceleration, there is radiation. The rate of energy loss is
    [tex] \frac{dW}{dt}=-\frac{e^{2} \dot{v}^2}{6\pi\epsilon_o c^3} [/tex] where [itex] \dot{v} [/itex] is the acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook