How comfortable are you with talking about sex?

848
4
How open is a discussion about sex for the people here? I don't mean just on the forums, I mean in general: how comfortable are you with talking about sex?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
I don't think I'm typical. All of my research relates at least in some way to reproduction and reproductive behavior, so I talk about sex all the time. Thus, I'm quite comfortable talking about it. That doesn't mean I readily share personal details, but the subject in general is one I have no problem discussing.
 
848
4
Wow, that's pretty cool. I'm not an expert in biology, but I do like looking at it from a biological perspective as well as, you know...the other perspective.
 
I readily share personal details with a group of REALLY close friends. But outside the circle (and within), i readily talk about sex too.
 
117
0
Well there was this one time I was porkin this real fine broad, just going at it like two animals in heat and....

:tongue:
 

DaveC426913

Gold Member
18,328
1,920
I have no prob discussing sex academically. As for my personal experiences, I've never had friends of a type with which that I would discuss such things.

Was there something you wanted to discuss, KN?

You'd probably get a lot of static from many posters, but a core group would surely try their best to have a serious discussion.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,350
My private life is my private life. I don't discuss it.
 
33
0
Sure I discuss sex all the time. I wonder why it's generally such a "taboo" subject, or at least an uncomfortable one. Maybe we are taught from birth to think that way? They say a woman reaches her sexual peak when she's around 30, not because of hormones but rather because it takes them that long to loosen up and be able to be free with their sexuality because they are taught from such a young age that sex is bad or shameful. Not sure I entirely agree with all that, but it's interesting nonetheless.
 
Sex is immoral just like downloading free music
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Pseudopod said:
Sure I discuss sex all the time. I wonder why it's generally such a "taboo" subject, or at least an uncomfortable one. Maybe we are taught from birth to think that way? They say a woman reaches her sexual peak when she's around 30, not because of hormones but rather because it takes them that long to loosen up and be able to be free with their sexuality because they are taught from such a young age that sex is bad or shameful. Not sure I entirely agree with all that, but it's interesting nonetheless.
Who is this "they" you refer to?
 
848
4
It's a myth. There was a study long ago in the 50s and 60s done that said women reached their sexual peak in their 30s but it really probably just found that because of how society changed at the time.

And no, there wasn't anything in specific I wanted to talk about, I just was thinking how its good to be open about such things in a relationship.
 

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
KingNothing said:
How open is a discussion about sex for the people here? I don't mean just on the forums, I mean in general: how comfortable are you with talking about sex?
I think this is a very interesting question - from the cultural anthropology perspective, at least. I had to think hard about who I will and will not speak openly with about sex. I won't talk about it with my parents and certain older relatives.

This made me think about which family members are culturally taboo as far as participating in this kind of discussion. I think my sister and I could probably have these discussions when she is older, but I don't ever want to talk about sex with my brothers.
 

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
7,093
174
I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not gonna go there.
 

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,287
3
For alot of you here commenting, remember this is a question for those who have done it.

For me, I'm pretty comfortable talking about it. I just won't give details about me and my gf.

I don't see the big deal. If you suck, you suck.
 
1,062
6
I am quite open and comfortable with the subject.
 

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Ivan Seeking said:
I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not gonna go there.
I would have believed that about you, Ivan. But never Saintly Tsu. o:)
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Ivan Seeking said:
I have no desire to talk publicly about whipped cream and chains. Just not gonna go there.
Like I said, I don't talk about personal details. :rofl:

JasonRox said:
For alot of you here commenting, remember this is a question for those who have done it.
Nothing in the question implied it's only for those who have done it. I would hope people are able to talk about sex before they do it, otherwise they aren't going to be ready for it, either in terms of expectations, emotions, or disease/pregnancy prevention as applicable.
 

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,349
51
Math Is Hard said:
I would have believed that about you, Ivan. But never Saintly Tsu. o:)
You did see how much she enjoyed the tribdog torture thread, didn't you? :bugeye: :rofl:
 
848
4
I'm open to talking about details, but only with someone mature. Like as in, they wont say "dude, sweet, how was she?" and stuff like that. But giving advice is fun. And yes, I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.
 

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
4,491
28
Oh, for Pete's sake! Is there anyone who DOESN't enjoy torturing tribdog? That alone is worth the annual contribution.
 

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,287
3
KingNothing said:
I'm open to talking about details, but only with someone mature. Like as in, they wont say "dude, sweet, how was she?" and stuff like that. But giving advice is fun. And yes, I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.
Yes, you're right. If they aren't comfortable talking about things, they shouldn't do it.

No offense, but all the advice I have ever heard was terrible. From experience (not many), that all girls are different and in some cases completely different.

You should never say what is good. You should always say what you can try. I learned my lesson on that one.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,350
KingNothing said:
I'm a firm believer that if two people in a relationship aren't ready to talk about something, they certianly aren't ready to do it.
Very good point. I think a couple that intend to or are engaging in sex need to be able to discuss it openly between themselves. It is no one elses business though.

When other people want to discuss their sex lives with me I find myself wondering why. If they have a problem and are honestly seeking advice, that's one thing, if they just want to talk about it, I wonder what is so lacking in their personal lives that they feel they need affirmation from me.
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,350
JasonRox said:
Yes, you're right. If they aren't comfortable talking about things, they shouldn't do it.

No offense, but all the advice I have ever heard was terrible. From experience (not many), that all girls are different and in some cases completely different.

You should never say what is good. You should always say what you can try. I learned my lesson on that one.
Jason, I'm impressed with you too. I didn't realize you guys had this level of maturity.
 

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
2,287
3
Evo said:
Jason, I'm impressed with you too. I didn't realize you guys had this level of maturity.
We will take that as a compliment.

One of the best a guy can get. :biggrin:
 

Evo

Mentor
22,875
2,350
JasonRox said:
We will take that as a compliment.

One of the best a guy can get. :biggrin:
Definitely a compliment!!!
 

Related Threads for: How comfortable are you with talking about sex?

  • Last Post
2
Replies
49
Views
9K
Replies
21
Views
3K
  • Poll
  • Last Post
4
Replies
86
Views
14K
  • Last Post
Replies
8
Views
6K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
33
Views
3K
Replies
106
Views
9K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
25
Views
3K
  • Last Post
2
Replies
45
Views
6K

Hot Threads

Top