How compatible is Freemat with Matlab?

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter DiracPool
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Freemat as a cheap and free alternative to Matlab. The question is raised about how closely it compares to Matlab and whether it would be sufficient for preparation for a graduate program. The commenter states that while Freemat is a good substitute for similar environments, it does not fully replace knowing Matlab. They recommend purchasing the student version if needed. Another person mentions using free Octave in the past as a highly compatible alternative.
DiracPool
In post #5 of this thread, Jedishrfu commented that Freemat is a cheap and free alternative to Matlab. My question is how close an alternative is it. I need to learn python and MATLAB for my upcoming entry into a grad program this fall. Python is free, of course, but should I buy the actual MATLAB to prepare or will I be fine just learning freemat and assume that switching to the actual Matlab at school will be a minor adjustment?

Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at Freemat a long time ago and while it is a free alternative for similar environment/capability, it is not a substitute for knowing Matlab; if you are expected to know matlab, it is my opinion that you need the real thing...the student version should be cheap enough.

Heck, python (matplotlib, scipy, numpy, IPython notebook) is also a free alternative to Matlab or even Mathcad, but does not teach you either.

Cheers

I have used free Octave in the past. It was highly compatible with MATLAB and had most of the modern features. There are even some places where you can enter and execute MATLAB code online.

1. How similar is the syntax between Freemat and Matlab?

The syntax between Freemat and Matlab is very similar. Both languages use a similar structure for commands and functions, making it easy to transition between the two. However, there may be some minor differences in syntax for certain functions.

2. Can code written in Freemat be used in Matlab?

Yes, code written in Freemat can be used in Matlab. Freemat is built on the same language as Matlab, so most code written in Freemat will run in Matlab without any modifications. However, there may be some differences in syntax that need to be adjusted.

3. Are all Matlab functions and toolboxes available in Freemat?

No, not all Matlab functions and toolboxes are available in Freemat. While Freemat has a large selection of built-in functions and toolboxes, it does not have the same comprehensive library as Matlab. Some functions may also have different names or slightly different syntax in Freemat.

4. Is Freemat a suitable replacement for Matlab?

It depends on the specific needs and requirements of the user. While Freemat and Matlab have many similarities, they also have some differences in functionality and available toolboxes. Freemat may be a suitable replacement for basic Matlab tasks, but for more complex and specialized tasks, Matlab may be a better option.

5. Can Freemat run code written in older versions of Matlab?

Yes, Freemat can run code written in older versions of Matlab. However, as with using code from Matlab in Freemat, there may be some minor syntax differences that need to be adjusted. It is always recommended to test the code in Freemat before using it for important tasks.