How did our moon achieve orbit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of objects being shot into Earth's orbit and the formation of the moon. It is explained that objects cannot be shot into orbit, but instead need a separate rocket burn to be inserted into orbit. The conversation then delves into the theory of the moon's formation, with one person suggesting it was the result of a Mars-sized body colliding with Earth and another person suggesting it was captured by Earth. The conversation ends with the idea that the moon has a unique chemical composition that supports the capture theory.
Oldfart
I've read on PF that you can't shoot something, like from a big gun, into Earth orbit; it will either fall back to Earth or attain escape velocity and be gone forever. Instead, you need a separate rocket burn to insert the object into orbit following launch. Makes good sense to me.

So we are told that our moon was the end result of a Mars-size body crashing into the Earth. The artist's rendition of this event always shows a big SPLAT, with collision debris showered up into space, and it's explained that a fair amount of this debris eventually collected to form our moon.

OK, it visually looks like this debris was effectively "shot" into space by the force of the impact, but where is the orbital burn? How did it get inserted into Earth orbit? What am I missing here?

Confused in Virginia, OF

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'll take a guess. Earth was far from spherical immediately after the big splat, so the rules of the game change a bit. Any material blasted off the lobes of an elongated Earth would not need an apogee kick as Earth returns to its spherical shape.

That is a pretty fair guess, Tony. The giant impactor hypothesis has problems. It is merely the best among current models. I lean towards the capture thing, although it invokes certain improbabilities to work. The most compelling evidence, IMO, is iron oxide abundance. The iron oxide abundance of the moon fits nicely between those of Mars and earth. That, along with other chemical signatures, suggests our moon has a unique history.

1. How did the moon form?

The most widely accepted theory is that the moon formed from debris left over after a Mars-sized object collided with Earth around 4.5 billion years ago. This debris eventually coalesced to form the moon.

2. What is the moon's current orbit like?

The moon orbits Earth in an elliptical shape, with an average distance of about 238,855 miles. It takes approximately 27 days for the moon to complete one orbit around Earth.

3. How did the moon achieve its orbit around Earth?

The moon's orbit was achieved through a combination of its own initial momentum and the gravitational pull of Earth. As the moon formed, it began to orbit Earth due to the gravitational force between the two bodies.

4. Has the moon always had the same orbit around Earth?

No, the moon's orbit has changed over time due to various factors such as tidal forces and the influence of other celestial bodies. However, these changes are relatively small and the moon's current orbit is considered stable.

5. How does the moon's orbit affect Earth?

The moon's orbit has several effects on Earth, including causing tides due to its gravitational pull, stabilizing Earth's tilt on its axis, and creating a slight wobble in Earth's rotation. The moon's orbit also affects the length of our days and the Earth's climate.