How do I calculate and use the different formulas of Green's Theorem?

In summary, there are three formulas of the Green Theorem that are identical, with the only difference being the number of dimensions they are applied in. The first and second forms are used for path integrals, while the third form is used for flux. In 3 dimensions, these correspond to Stokes' theorem and Gauss's theorem. In order to calculate $\hat{n}$ and $d\sigma$, we can use the same method as for $\oint_S \overrightarrow{F} \cdot d \overrightarrow{R}$, by taking the normalized vector perpendicular to $\overrightarrow{dR}$ and multiplying it by $d\theta$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! (Wave)

I have a question..

There are three formulas of the Green Theorem:

• $$\oint_S (Mdx+Ndy)=\iint_R \left( \frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}-\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}} \right) dxdy$$
  • $$\oint \overrightarrow{F} \cdot d \overrightarrow{R}=\iint_R \nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot d \overrightarrow A$$
  • $$\oint_S \overrightarrow{G} \cdot \hat{n} \cdot d \sigma=\iint_R \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{G} dxdy $$
But...Is there a difference between $F \text{ and } G$? :confused:

Also...at which case do I use each formula?? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
Hello! (Wave)

I have a question..

There are three formulas of the Green Theorem:

• $$\oint_S (Mdx+Ndy)=\iint_R \left( \frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}-\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}} \right) dxdy$$
  • $$\oint \overrightarrow{F} \cdot d \overrightarrow{R}=\iint_R \nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot d \overrightarrow A$$
  • $$\oint_S \overrightarrow{G} \cdot \hat{n} \cdot d \sigma=\iint_R \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{G} dxdy $$
But...Is there a difference between $F \text{ and } G$? :confused:

Also...at which case do I use each formula?? (Thinking)

Hey! (Blush)

They are all identical.
The first form is the same as the second form - merely written out in its components.
The third form is the same, but applied to a perpendicular vector.

When to use them?
Whatever is closest to the problem that you are trying to solve.
If you're dealing with a path integral (e.g. work), you'd use the first or second form.
If you're dealing with a flux, you'd use the third form.

And if you're working in 3 dimensions, you'd use either Stokes' theorem or Gauss's theorem, which correspond to these forms. (Inlove)

I like Serena said:
Hey! (Blush)

They are all identical.
The first form is the same as the second form - merely written out in its components.
The third form is the same, but applied to a perpendicular vector.

When to use them?
Whatever is closest to the problem that you are trying to solve.
If you're dealing with a path integral (e.g. work), you'd use the first or second form.
If you're dealing with a flux, you'd use the third form.

A ok...I understand! :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
And if you're working in 3 dimensions, you'd use either Stokes' theorem or Gauss's theorem, which correspond to these forms. (Inlove)

So,do we use the Stokes' theorem and the Gauss's theorem also,in order to find the work and the flux,respectively, with the only difference that we have 3 dimensions? :confused:

evinda said:
So,do we use the Stokes' theorem and the Gauss's theorem also,in order to find the work and the flux,respectively, with the only difference that we have 3 dimensions? :confused:

Yep! (Nod)

More specifically Stokes' theorem is about the work along a closed curve in 3 dimensions, while Green's theorem is about a closed curve in 2 dimensions.

And Gauss's theorem is about the flux of a closed surface in 3 dimensions, while Green's theorem is about the flux of a closed curve in 2 dimensions. (Nerd)

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Nod)

More specifically Stokes' theorem is about the work along a closed curve in 3 dimensions, while Green's theorem is about a closed curve in 2 dimensions.

And Gauss's theorem is about the flux of a closed surface in 3 dimensions, while Green's theorem is about the flux of a closed curve in 2 dimensions. (Nerd)

Nice!Thank you very much! :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
Yep! (Nod)

And something else... At the formula:

$$\oint_S \overrightarrow{G} \cdot \hat{n} \cdot d \sigma=\iint_R \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{G} dxdy $$

how can I calculate $\hat{n}$ and how $d \sigma$ ? Because I haven't found anything in my notes... (Worried)(Worried)(Worried)

evinda said:
And something else... At the formula:

$$\oint_S \overrightarrow{G} \cdot \hat{n} \cdot d \sigma=\iint_R \nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{G} dxdy $$

how can I calculate $\hat{n}$ and how $d \sigma$ ? Because I haven't found anything in my notes... (Worried)(Worried)(Worried)

It works almost the same as it would for $\oint_S \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \overrightarrow{dR}$. (Nod)

Let's take a look at an example.
Suppose we integrate along the unit circle.

Then:
$$\overrightarrow R = \hat \imath \cos \theta + \hat \jmath \sin \theta$$
$$\overrightarrow{dR} = (-\hat \imath \sin\theta + \hat \jmath \cos \theta) d\theta$$
This is an infinitesimal vector tangential to the unit circle.
What we get from this, is that:
$$\oint_S \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \overrightarrow{dR} = \int_0^{2\pi} \overrightarrow{F} \cdot (-\hat \imath \sin\theta + \hat \jmath \cos \theta) d\theta$$
(Mmm)To address your question, the normalized vector perpendicular to $\overrightarrow{dR}$ is:
$$\hat n = \hat \imath \cos \theta + \hat \jmath \sin \theta$$
This is a radial vector that is perpendicular to the unit circle.

The corresponding infinitesimal vector perpendicular to the curve is:
$$\hat n d\sigma = \hat n d\theta = (\hat \imath \cos \theta + \hat \jmath \sin \theta)d\theta$$
So:
$$\oint_S \overrightarrow{G} \cdot \hat n d\sigma = \int_0^{2\pi} \overrightarrow{G} \cdot (\hat \imath \cos \theta + \hat \jmath \sin \theta)d\theta$$
(Wait)

Related to How do I calculate and use the different formulas of Green's Theorem?

1. What is Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a fundamental theorem in multivariable calculus that relates a line integral around a simple closed curve to a double integral over the region enclosed by the curve.

2. What are the two versions of Green's Theorem?

The two versions of Green's Theorem are the circulation-curl version and the area version. The circulation-curl version relates a line integral of a vector field to a double integral of the curl of the vector field. The area version relates a line integral of a scalar field to a double integral of the partial derivatives of the field.

3. How are the two versions of Green's Theorem related?

The two versions of Green's Theorem are related through the concept of conservative fields. If a vector field is conservative, the circulation-curl version of Green's Theorem reduces to the area version.

4. What is the practical application of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the calculation of work done by a force field and the calculation of flux through a surface.

5. Are there any generalizations or extensions of Green's Theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations and extensions of Green's Theorem, such as the Kelvin-Stokes Theorem, the Divergence Theorem, and the generalized Stokes Theorem. These theorems apply Green's Theorem to higher dimensions and more complex vector fields.