Calculate the work and the flux

• MHB
  • Thread starter evinda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux Work
In summary, the work done along the path $C$ by the vector field $\overrightarrow{F}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}$ is 0, as it is a conservative field and the path is not closed. The flux of the vector field over the path is equal to $\frac{\pi a^2}{2}$. This can be calculated by integrating the perpendicular vector over the path, or by realizing that the curve has radius $a$ and length $\frac{\pi a}{2}$ and the force is perpendicular and has size $a$.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hello! :)
I am given the following exercise:
"Calculate the work and the flux for the path $C: a \cos{\theta}\hat{i}+a \sin{\theta}\hat{j}, 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}$ , knowing that $\overrightarrow{F}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}$. "

To solve this I thought that I could use the Green's Theorem,like that:

To calculate the work,I did the following:
$$ \oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR=\int \int_R {\nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}dA=\iint_R {\nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{k}}dA=\iint_R {0}dA=0$$

Is the result for the work correct? :confused:

And,for the flux,I tried this:
$$ \oint_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\iint_R{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}}dA=\iint_R{2}dA$$

How can I continue to find the flux? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
evinda said:
"Calculate the work and the flux for the path $C: a \cos{\theta}\hat{i}+a \sin{\theta}\hat{j}, 0 \leq \theta \leq \frac{\pi}{2}$ , knowing that $\overrightarrow{F}=x\hat{i}+y\hat{j}$. "

$$ \oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR=\int \int_R {\nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}dA=\iint_R {\nabla \times \overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{k}}dA=\iint_R {0}dA=0$$

Is the result for the work correct? :confused:...

The result for thye work is correct but the procedure probably isn't... The Green's theorem can bu used only for closed path and Your path, that connect the point [a,0] to the point [0,a] with a quarter of circle isn't closed. What You can use is the fact that the field $\displaystyle \overrightarrow{F} = x\ \overrightarrow {i} + y\ \overrightarrow {j}$ obeys to the condition $\displaystyle \frac{\partial {f_{x}}}{\partial {y}} = \frac{\partial {f_{y}}}{\partial {x}}$ so that it is conservative and the work doesn't depend from the path but only from the starting and final points. In this case is...

$\displaystyle W = \int_{a}^{0} x\ dx + \int_{0}^{a} y\ dy = 0\ (1)$ Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The result for thye work is correct but the procedure probably isn't... The Green's theorem can bu used only for closed path and Your path, that connect the point [a,0] to the point [0,a] with a quarter of circle isn't closed. What You can use is the fact that the field $\displaystyle \overrightarrow{F} = x\ \overrightarrow {i} + y\ \overrightarrow {j}$ obeys to the condition $\displaystyle \frac{\partial {f_{x}}}{\partial {y}} = \frac{\partial {f_{y}}}{\partial {x}}$ so that it is conservative and the work doesn't depend from the path but only from the starting and final points. In this case is...

$\displaystyle W = \int_{a}^{0} x\ dx + \int_{0}^{a} y\ dy = 0\ (1)$ Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Why is the formula of $W$ like that?? :confused: And also,why did you take the intervals $[a,0]$ and $[0,a]$ ?

evinda said:
Why is the formula of $W$ like that?? :confused: And also,why did you take the intervals $[a,0]$ and $[0,a]$ ?

Please observe the following picture...

i86349249._szw380h285_.jpg.jfif

Once You have found that the field of $\overrightarrow{F}$ is conservative, then the work along a path depends only from ne initial and ending point of the path. The original path is from the point [a,0] to the point [0,a] along a quarter of circle, but the path [a,] -> [0,0] and [0,0] -> [0,a] is equivalent to it, so that...Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

evinda said:

In order to answer the question about 'flux' it is necessary that somebody explain to me a little detail. I have no problem to undestand the concept of flux of a vector through a surface in $\mathbb{R}^{3}$ but it is difficult for me to undestand the concept of flux of a vector along a path in $\mathbb{R}^{2}$... who helps me?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Hey! :eek:

evinda said:

Is the result for the work correct? :confused:

As chisigma already remarked, you can't apply Green's Theorem here because the path is not closed.

For the work you need to calculate the path integral:
\begin{aligned}W&=\int_C \mathbf F \cdot d\mathbf s \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (-a\sin\theta, a\cos\theta) d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (-a\cos\theta\cdot a\sin\theta + a\sin\theta \cdot a\cos\theta) d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} 0 d\theta \\
&= 0\end{aligned}

You can make it a bit easier by observing that the force $\mathbf F$ is perpendicular to the path C everywhere.
Therefore $\mathbf F$ does not do any work. (Whew)
So:
$$W = 0$$
And,for the flux,I tried this:
$$ \oint_C{\overrightarrow{F} \cdot \hat{n}}ds=\iint_R{\nabla \cdot \overrightarrow{F}}dA=\iint_R{2}dA$$

How can I continue to find the flux? (Thinking)

Since the curve is not closed, we cannot apply that theorem.

Assuming that with flux you mean the integration of the perpendicular vector over the path, we would have:

\begin{aligned}\text{Flux}&=\int_C \mathbf F \cdot \mathbf {\hat n} ds \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (\cos\theta, \sin\theta) a d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos^2\theta + a\sin^2\theta) a d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} a^2 d\theta \\
&= \frac{\pi a^2}{2}\end{aligned}

Alternatively, we can see that the curve has radius $a$ and length $\frac {\pi a} 2$.
The force is perpendicular and has size $a$.
So this flux is $\frac {\pi a} 2 \cdot a = \frac {\pi a^2} 2$.

Last edited:
chisigma said:
In order to answer the question about 'flux' it is necessary that somebody explain to me a little detail. I have no problem to undestand the concept of flux of a vector through a surface in $\mathbb{R}^{3}$ but it is difficult for me to undestand the concept of flux of a vector along a path in $\mathbb{R}^{2}$... who helps me?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Nobody helped me so that I try to work by 'intuition'. Considering to be in $\mathbb{R}^{3}$ the force$\displaystyle \overrightarrow{F} = x\ \overrightarrow {i} + y\ \overrightarrow{j}$ is independent from the z variable and the 'surface' can be considered having the path as 'base' and an unity segment as 'height'. In that case the flux is...

$\displaystyle F = \int_{S} \overrightarrow{F}\ \cdot \overrightarrow {n}\ dS = \int_{0}^{1} \int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} a\ dz\ d \theta = \frac{\pi}{2}\ a$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I like Serena said:
As chisigma already remarked, you can't apply Green's Theorem here because the path is not closed.

&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (-a\sin\theta, a\cos\theta) d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (-a\cos\theta\cdot a\sin\theta + a\sin\theta \cdot a\cos\theta) d\theta \\
&= 0\end{aligned}

You can make it a bit easier by observing that the force $\mathbf F$ is perpendicular to the path C everywhere.
Therefore $\mathbf F$ does not do any work. (Whew)
So:
$$W = 0$$

Since the curve is not closed, we cannot apply that theorem.

Assuming that with flux you mean the integration of the perpendicular vector over the path, we would have:

&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (\cos\theta, \sin\theta) a d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos^2\theta + a\sin^2\theta) a d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} a^2 d\theta \\
&= \frac{\pi a^2}{2}\end{aligned}

Alternatively, we can see that the curve has radius $a$ and length $\frac {\pi a} 2$.
The force is perpendicular and has size $a$.
So this flux is $\frac {\pi a} 2 \cdot a = \frac {\pi a^2} 2$.

I calculated it as followed:
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (\cos\theta, \sin\theta) d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos^2\theta + a\sin^2\theta) d\theta \\
&= \int_0^{\pi/2} a d\theta \\
&= \frac{\pi a}{2}\end{aligned}
But you have $\int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (\cos\theta, \sin\theta)$ $a$ $d\theta$...Could you explain me why there is also an $a$?

evinda said:
But you have $\int_0^{\pi/2} (a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta) \cdot (\cos\theta, \sin\theta)$ $a$ $d\theta$...Could you explain me why there is also an $a$?

The line segment $ds = a d\theta$.
It's what happens when you work in polar coordinates.

I like Serena said:
The line segment $ds = a d\theta$.
It's what happens when you work in polar coordinates.

When calculating the work,why don't we also replace $ds$ with $a d\theta$ ?? :confused: (Thinking)

evinda said:
When calculating the work,why don't we also replace $ds$ with $a d\theta$ ?? :confused: (Thinking)

We could, but note the difference between $d\mathbf s$ and $ds$.
The first is a vector with length ds in the direction of the curve ($\textbf{bold upright}$), whereas the second is a scalar ($italic$).
Perhaps I should have written it as $d\overrightarrow{\mathbf s}$. :eek:
Their relation is:
$$d\vec{\mathbf s} = \hat{\mathbf c} ds$$
where $\hat{\mathbf c}$ is a vector of unit length in the direction of the curve.Consider the function $\vec{\mathbf s}(\theta)=(a\cos\theta, a\sin\theta)$ that describes your curve.
Then:
$$d\vec{\mathbf s} = \vec{\mathbf{s}}\,'(\theta) d\theta = (-a\sin\theta, a\cos\theta) d\theta$$
whereas:
$$\hat{\mathbf c} ds = (-\sin\theta, \cos\theta) a d\theta$$

See that they are the same?

I like Serena said:

&= 0\end{aligned}

Is there a difference using this formula: $\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR$ or this: $\int_C \mathbf F \cdot d\mathbf s $,to calculate the work?? :confused: (Thinking)

evinda said:
Is there a difference using this formula: $\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR$ or this: $\int_C \mathbf F \cdot d\mathbf s $,to calculate the work?? :confused: (Thinking)

Yes.

The first version sums the entire force vector along the curve.
The result is a vector, which is not the work.

The second version sums only the component of the force vector that is along the curve, which is how work is calculated.
The result is a scalar.
It does so, by first taking the dot product of the force with a vector in the direction of the curve, and only summing afterward.
Consider for instance $\overrightarrow F = \hat \imath$ and the circle $\overrightarrow s(\theta) = a\cos\theta \hat \imath + a\sin\theta \hat \jmath$.
Then:
$$\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR = 2\pi a \hat \imath$$
while:
$$\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}} \cdot d\overrightarrow s = 0$$

I like Serena said:
Yes.

The first version sums the entire force vector along the curve.
The result is a vector, which is not the work.

The second version sums only the component of the force vector that is along the curve, which is how work is calculated.
The result is a scalar.
It does so, by first taking the dot product of the force with a vector in the direction of the curve, and only summing afterward.
Consider for instance $\overrightarrow F = \hat \imath$ and the circle $\overrightarrow s(\theta) = a\cos\theta \hat \imath + a\sin\theta \hat \jmath$.
Then:
$$\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}}dR = 2\pi a \hat \imath$$
while:
$$\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}} \cdot d\overrightarrow s = 0$$

Aha! And what's with $\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}} \cdot d \overrightarrow{R}$ ? (Thinking)

evinda said:
Aha! And what's with $\oint_C{\overrightarrow{F}} \cdot d \overrightarrow{R}$ ? (Thinking)

It's the same thing as with $d\overrightarrow s$, just with a different symbol to represent the curve.

I like Serena said:
It's the same thing as with $d\overrightarrow s$, just with a different symbol to represent the curve.

I understand :) Thank you very much!

Related to Calculate the work and the flux

1. What is work and how is it calculated?

Work is the measure of energy transferred when a force is applied to an object and the object moves in the direction of the force. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. The formula for work is W = F * d.

2. What is flux and how is it calculated?

Flux is the measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the physical quantity by the surface area and the cosine of the angle between the direction of the flow and the normal to the surface. The formula for flux is Φ = Q * A * cosθ.

3. What is the difference between work and flux?

Work and flux are related concepts, but they measure different things. Work measures the transfer of energy, while flux measures the flow of a physical quantity. Work is calculated by multiplying force and distance, while flux is calculated by multiplying physical quantity, surface area, and angle.

4. What are some real-life applications of calculating work and flux?

Calculating work and flux has many practical applications in various fields of science and engineering. Some examples include determining the amount of energy needed to lift objects, calculating the flow of electric or magnetic fields through a surface, and measuring the heat transfer in a system.

5. How can I use calculus to calculate work and flux?

Calculus is often used to calculate work and flux in more complex situations. The basic principles of calculus, such as integration and differentiation, can be applied to the formulas for work and flux to solve for more complicated scenarios, such as non-constant forces or varying surface areas. Calculus also allows for the calculation of work and flux in three-dimensional spaces.