How do I calculate inverse trig functions?

In summary: No, I did poorly in my Math exams. Now I am going to be studying science and engineering which is very ambitious if you think about my past with mathematics. But now I'm 18 it isn't very difficult to grasp different concepts so I'm learning at a much faster rate. My only problem is not being distracted. Thanks for notifying me of the option on the calculator, I never noticed it before.Hey, one radian is 180 degrees / pi, which is about 57.3 degrees.In other words, 360 degrees is equal to 2*pi radians. Keep these numbers in mind, they may save you in future tests / quizzes!
Alanay
Member warned about posting without using the homework template
On the paper I'm reading the arctan of 35 over 65 is approx. 28.30degrees.

When I use the Google calculator "arctan(35/65)" gives me 0.493941369 rad.

What am I doing wrong?

Likes Trip
Physics news on Phys.org
Alanay said:
On the paper I'm reading the arctan of 35 over 65 is approx. 28.30degrees.

When I use the Google calculator "arctan(35/65)" gives me 0.493941369 rad.

What am I doing wrong?
What is 28.30 degrees in radians?

Likes Alanay
Samy_A said:
What is 28.30 degrees in radians?
Ah, I wasn't told I could convert radians to degrees. Thank you. :eek:

Likes Trip
Alanay said:

Nobody has to ""allow"" you to change units; you can do it if you want to, and sometimes you MUST do it (as in this case).

Likes Trip and epenguin
Alanay said:
That's what the 'RAD'/'DEG' button in the upper left hand calculator is for, to allow you to select the units of angular measure.

Haven't you ever used a regular calculator with this feature?

SteamKing said:
That's what the 'RAD'/'DEG' button in the upper left hand calculator is for, to allow you to select the units of angular measure.

Haven't you ever used a regular calculator with this feature?
No, I did poorly in my Math exams. Now I am going to be studying science and engineering which is very ambitious if you think about my past with mathematics. But now I'm 18 it isn't very difficult to grasp different concepts so I'm learning at a much faster rate. My only problem is not being distracted. Thanks for notifying me of the option on the calculator, I never noticed it before.

Hey, one radian is 180 degrees / pi, which is about 57.3 degrees.

In other words, 360 degrees is equal to 2*pi radians. Keep these numbers in mind, they may save you in future tests / quizzes!

Likes Trip and Alanay

1. How do I calculate inverse trig functions using a calculator?

To calculate inverse trig functions using a calculator, you will need to use the inverse trig function keys (usually labeled as "sin-1", "cos-1", or "tan-1"). Press the appropriate key, then enter the value you want to find the inverse of and press "enter". The calculator will display the inverse trig function value.

2. How do I calculate inverse trig functions without a calculator?

To calculate inverse trig functions without a calculator, you will need to use a trigonometric table or a trigonometric identity. For example, to find the inverse sine of a value, you can use the identity sin-1x = cos-1√(1-x2). You can also use a calculator or a computer program to generate a table of inverse trig function values.

3. What is the difference between inverse trig functions and regular trig functions?

The main difference between inverse trig functions and regular trig functions is the input and output. Regular trig functions take an angle as input and output a ratio of sides in a right triangle. Inverse trig functions take a ratio of sides as input and output an angle in radians or degrees.

4. How do I know when to use inverse trig functions?

You should use inverse trig functions when you know the value of a ratio of sides in a right triangle and want to find the angle that corresponds to that ratio. Inverse trig functions are also used in solving real-world problems involving angles and distances.

5. Can I use inverse trig functions to solve any triangle?

No, inverse trig functions can only be used to solve right triangles. To solve an oblique triangle, you will need to use the law of sines or the law of cosines. Inverse trig functions are only applicable when one angle of a triangle is 90 degrees.