How do I calculate Phase Angles?

In summary, the author was trying to calculate phase angle using an equation but was having difficulty getting the correct answer.
shintashi
So I got to the part of my math/engineering textbook on vectors and scalars, and I've got to calculate phase angles and voltage. I see this equation, and I've tried doing it different ways but I don't get correct answers.

tanθ=XL−XC / XR
Angle θ represents the phase angle between the current and the voltage.

I thought I was supposed to square each value first,
then subtract C from L,
then divide by R
then get the square root of the result,
then push the inverse button + Tangent on the calculator to change the result into an angle in degrees.

I didn't do well with vector spaces in school and have trouble with them now.

Also, am I supposed to do any RMS stuff like root 2 over 2, since its AC, and implied? Or am I overthinking it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
XL and Xc are 180° out of phase. You can subtract one from the other directly, depending on which one is greater. You don't need rms values for impedance.

It helps to draw the picture first.
That makes it into an elementary trigonometry problem. Which you solve one step at a time...
1. Find what is impedance . You have to add in Rectangular coordinates (unless angle is same).
2. Divide voltage by that impedance. You have to divide in polar co-ordinates .

You'll get good at rectangular-polar conversion. Pythagoras Rules!

Doing these beginner exercises with a slide rule instills the "one step at a time" thinking method.
If you're using a calculator, force yourself to think in steps by writing down each step and its result , until the process becomes automatic..

thank you both! I was definitely overthinking it. The numbers aren't squared when doing the fraction portion to calculate phase angle.
it's just the bigger number minus the smaller number in C & L, and then divide by R. Once i have that value,
1. type in the (probably decimal) value into the calculator
2. push INVerse on the calculator
3. push TANgent. Boom, Phase angle.

Then for calculating the voltage, its Pythagoras: a^2 + b^2 = c^2,
1. with a = the result from C - L, then squared
2. b = Resistance, then squared
3. add these two together, which is the c^2 value
4. square root that value and I get my voltage.

I checked this process and i got the same results as the answers in the back of the book. :biggrin:

1. How do I calculate the phase angle using sine and cosine functions?

The phase angle can be calculated by taking the inverse sine (arcsine) or inverse cosine (arccosine) of the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle. This can be represented using the equations φ = arcsin(O/H) or φ = arccos(A/H), where φ is the phase angle, O is the opposite side, A is the adjacent side, and H is the hypotenuse.

2. What is the difference between phase angle and phase shift?

The phase angle and phase shift are both measures of the delay or advancement of a wave in relation to a reference point. However, phase angle is a specific value measured in degrees or radians, while phase shift is a measure of the amount of time or distance between two waves. Phase shift is typically expressed in degrees, radians, or fractions of a cycle.

3. Can I use any trigonometric function to calculate the phase angle?

No, only sine and cosine functions can be used to calculate the phase angle. This is because the phase angle is directly related to the ratio of the opposite and adjacent sides in a right triangle, which are represented by the sine and cosine functions, respectively.

4. How do I calculate the phase angle between two sinusoidal signals?

To calculate the phase angle between two sinusoidal signals, you can use the formula φ = φ2 - φ1, where φ1 and φ2 are the phase angles of the two signals. This will give you the difference in phase between the two signals, which can be used to determine if they are in phase, out of phase, or in quadrature (90 degrees out of phase).

5. Is there a standard unit for phase angle?

Yes, phase angle is typically measured in degrees (°) or radians (rad). However, in some fields, it may also be expressed in cycles or fractions of a cycle. It is important to determine the standard unit of measurement being used when working with phase angles.