How Do I Calculate Resistance and Voltage in a Multi-Material Cable?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alfcon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Copper Wires
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Alfcon
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi, if I have 3 naded wires copper, Tin and Lead wrapped into one cable and I run 12v through it how do I work out the amount of resistance I get and the total voltage at the other end?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org


Alfcon said:
Hi, if I have 3 naded wires copper, Tin and Lead wrapped into one cable and I run 12v through it how do I work out the amount of resistance I get and the total voltage at the other end?

You mean insulated wires?

You work out the resistance of each wire (using the resistivity formula) and then the combined resistance of the wires in parallel if they are connected in parallel.

The voltage out depends on the current, of course.