How Do I Calculate Tax and Service Costs from a Total Price in Algebra?

• Thread starter Iguanahump
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the person in the conversation is struggling with calculating a discount off a base price in a spreadsheet. They have the total price, which includes a service cost and a tax on the service cost. They need to know the base price in order to calculate the tax amount and the service cost, but are unsure how to do so. They are hoping for assistance and have provided a formula for context.
Iguanahump
I'm 58 and I'm afraid my math skills are not what they used to be. I have been working on this problem for days now and have the correct answer, but only by trial and error. I'm working on a spreadsheet that will calculate a discount off a base price. All I have is the total price, which includes a service cost of .006 of the base price + a 15% tax on the service cost. In order to do this I need to know the base price. Since the total price includes the 15% tax, I need to be able to calculate the tax amount, deduct it and then calculate the service cost. How do I calculate the tax before I know the base price or the service cost? This is the best as I can represent it in a formula:

x = 998,500 - (.15y)
y = x/1.006

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello, as far as I can't understand your question:

you have the total cost, let us call this Tc, this Tc is made up from a base price, let us call this B, and also a Service cost, let us call this S, and a Tax on the service cost let us call this Tx, thus:

[tex]
T_{c} = B+S+T_{x}
[/tex]

and [tex]T_{x} = 0.15B[/tex]

and [tex]S = B-0.006[/tex] thus:

[tex]T_{c} = B + (B-0.006) + (0.15B)[/tex]

and I assume you wish to calculate the base price?

Last edited:
Thank you for your assistance. The way you diagrammed it is correct, with the exception that Tx = .15S. I need to know B, that way I can calculate S and Tx easily.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Iguanahump! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If I've understood it right:

S = 0.006B;

tax = 0.15S = 0.15 0.006B = 0.0009B;

so total = B + S + tax = B(1 + 0.15 + 0.0009) = 1.1509B. :smile:

Related to How Do I Calculate Tax and Service Costs from a Total Price in Algebra?

What is an algebra equation?

An algebra equation is a mathematical statement that contains one or more variables and uses mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to represent a relationship between those variables. It is used to solve for the unknown value of the variable.

How do I solve an algebra equation?

To solve an algebra equation, you need to isolate the variable by performing the same operation on both sides of the equation. This will help you simplify the equation until you are left with the value of the variable. It is important to follow the order of operations and perform any necessary simplifications before solving for the variable.

What are the rules for solving algebra equations?

The rules for solving algebra equations include the use of the order of operations, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction). Additionally, when solving equations with variables on both sides, you must combine like terms and move the constants to one side of the equation.

What are some common mistakes when solving algebra equations?

Some common mistakes when solving algebra equations include forgetting to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation, forgetting to distribute or combine like terms, and making mistakes with negative numbers or fractions. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with each step of the solving process.

How can I check if my solution to an algebra equation is correct?

You can check if your solution to an algebra equation is correct by substituting the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. If the equation is true, then your solution is correct. Another way to check is by using a calculator to evaluate both sides of the equation and see if they are equal.