How do I calculate the temperature at different layers within a cavity wall?

In summary, the conversation is about a revision question involving the calculation of heat transfer through a brick wall with different layers and temperatures on either side. The formula for calculating the rate of heat transfer is provided, but there is difficulty in calculating the temperatures at the interfaces between the layers. A solution is suggested by using the known temperature and the thermal resistance between the surfaces. The original poster expresses gratitude for the help provided.
ingram010
Hi all

I have a revision question I am having some trouble with

A cold room has a wall measuring 5.2m by 2.5m. The wall is constructed of 120mm thick brick on the inside, a cork layer 80mm and a 30mm layer ow wood in the outside. the inside temperature is -4ºC and the outside temperature is 70ºC.

The thermal conductivities of the materials are:-

Brick,0.9Wm^-1K^-1, Cork, 0.04Wm^-1K^-1, and wood, 0.17Wm^-1K^-1

The formula for calculating for the rate of heat transfer through all the layers is:-

-Area/ (x1/k1) + (x2/k2) + (x3/k3) x (T1- T2)

so -13/ (0.12/0.9) + (0.08/0.04) + (0.03/0.17) x (-4 - 70) = 416.485 watts.

I am having a problem with the calculating the temperatures at the brick/cork and cork/wood interfaces.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful

Kindest regards

John

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Apply:

qT = Ts1 - Ts2 / Rs12

where,

qT = total heat transfer rate (you already calculated).
Ts1 = surface temperature at interface 1
Ts2 = surface temperature at interface 2
Rs12 = thermal resistance between surface 1 & 2 (for example: x1/k1)

So start at the surface with the known temperature (call it surface 1), and figure:

Ts2 = Ts1 - qT / Rs12

and work your way to the other end.

Thanks edgepflow

much appreciated

thank you a lot this was the information i have been searching for last 2 days

:

To calculate the temperature at different layers within a cavity wall, you can use the heat transfer formula you have provided. However, in order to accurately determine the temperature at the interfaces between the materials, you will need to use the concept of thermal resistance. Thermal resistance is the measure of how resistant a material is to heat flow, and it is equal to the thickness of the material divided by its thermal conductivity.

In this case, you can calculate the thermal resistances for each layer as follows:

- Brick layer: 120mm / 0.9Wm^-1K^-1 = 133.33 m^2K/W
- Cork layer: 80mm / 0.04Wm^-1K^-1 = 2000 m^2K/W
- Wood layer: 30mm / 0.17Wm^-1K^-1 = 176.47 m^2K/W

Next, you can use these thermal resistances to calculate the temperature at the interfaces between the layers. For the brick/cork interface, the temperature can be calculated as follows:

T1 = T2 + (Q x R)

Where:
- T1 = temperature at the brick/cork interface
- T2 = temperature at the inside surface of the brick layer (-4ºC in this case)
- Q = rate of heat transfer calculated using the formula provided (-416.485 watts)
- R = thermal resistance of the brick layer (133.33 m^2K/W)

Plugging in the values, we get:

T1 = -4 + (-416.485 / 133.33) = -7.12ºC

Similarly, for the cork/wood interface, the temperature can be calculated as follows:

T2 = T3 + (Q x R)

Where:
- T2 = temperature at the cork/wood interface
- T3 = temperature at the outside surface of the wood layer (70ºC in this case)
- Q = rate of heat transfer calculated using the formula provided (-416.485 watts)
- R = thermal resistance of the wood layer (176.47 m^2K/W)

Plugging in the values, we get:

T2 = 70 - (-416.485 / 176.47) = 72.36ºC

Using these temperatures at the interfaces, you can then calculate the temperatures at any desired points within the cavity wall using the same formula, taking into

Related to How do I calculate the temperature at different layers within a cavity wall?

1. How do I determine the thermal conductivity of a material?

The thermal conductivity of a material can be determined by conducting a thermal conductivity test, which involves measuring the rate of heat transfer through the material. This value can also be found in tables or through online resources.

2. How do I calculate the temperature gradient within a cavity wall?

The temperature gradient within a cavity wall can be calculated by using the equation: ΔT/Δx = (Q/A) * (1/k), where ΔT is the temperature difference, Δx is the distance between the two layers of the wall, Q is the heat flow, A is the surface area, and k is the thermal conductivity of the material.

3. What factors affect the temperature distribution within a cavity wall?

The temperature distribution within a cavity wall is affected by factors such as thermal conductivity of the materials, thickness of the wall, external temperature, and insulation properties of the wall.

4. How can I calculate the R-value of a cavity wall?

The R-value of a cavity wall can be calculated by dividing the thickness of the wall by the thermal conductivity of the material. The higher the R-value, the more effective the wall is at resisting heat transfer.

5. How do I take into account external factors when calculating the temperature within a cavity wall?

To take into account external factors, such as weather and ambient temperature, in the calculation of temperature within a cavity wall, you can use the concept of thermal resistance. This involves accounting for the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the wall, as well as the thermal resistance of the materials and air layers within the wall.