Math - Solving Exponential and Polynomial Equations

• Thread starter hexa
  • Start date
In summary, In this problem, you are integrating two sides of an equation. On the left-hand side, it is given that \frac{dh}{dx} = e^{3x} + x^2. On the right-hand side, you integrate with respect to x to get (e^3*x^2)/2 + x^3/3 + K. However, there is still an unknown constant present that when x=0 h(x) =-9. Try solving the equation by inspection and see if you can find what this constant is.
hexa
Hello,

I have a few sums similar to this one:

The following relation is given: dh/dx=e^3x + x^2
Furthermore: h(0) =-9
Calculate the value of h for x=3

How would I solve this? Any hints?

Hexa

Physics news on Phys.org
You can rewrite the equation as [tex]dh=(e^{3x}+x^2)dx[/tex].

Are you familiar with how to integrate an expression?

Please don't unnecessarily abuse notation and split dh/dx up. It is not a fraction.

If dh/dx is what is given, what is h(x)?

Sorry, I guess I should have mentioned it as a disclaimer.

I just find that it's easier to deal with problems such as this by pretending that it is a fraction. Same with the chain rule. You can pretend the denominator of one derivative cancels with another.

I guess you're right and it's better to be rigorous in these situations to actually see what's going on and physically write out that you're integrating both sides with respect to x.

Well, the thing is you don't need to explicilty write down any integrals or do any manipulations of dh/dx. You can *solve it by inspection* (which is pretty much as unrigorous as it gets: write down the answer). Personally, if I wrote a question like this (say dy/dx=x^3 and y(0)=0) I would not expect anyone to use an integral sign to work out what y is, I would expect them to say, 'y(x)=x^4/4+k, and k is 0 since y(0)=0.' But , for any student reading, your teacher might have different ideas, so check.

NB: I'd have no problem with going straight to the integrals, but I just don't like having dx's floating around at this level without an integral sign around.

Some times I say multiply each side by dx and integrate. But some people have a problem with that act.

Thanks a lot for your answers. I looked at the questions again and in only one of them was written that a pocket calculator is not allowed. That's the only instruction (I'm looking at old exams here). That's all.

So how would I integrate it to get an answer? And Matt Grine: what are you exactly doing? It's just another example you're giving, right?

Thanks,
hexa

It is given that [tex] \frac{dh}{dx} = e^{3x} + x^2 [/tex]

Since the expression on the right hand side is in terms of x, you can just integrate with respect to x on both sides of the equation!

Also, remember to add an arbitrary constant once you have integrated!

So that would then be (e^3*x^2)/2 + x^3/3 + K?

but then there's still this left over:
Furthermore: h(0) =-9
Calculate the value of h for x=3

and I don't see an h in the equation anymore :(

Hexa

When you integrate dh/dx you could say you are transforming h'(x) to h(x)... and you have an unknown constant in there such that when x = 0 h(x) = -9...what could possibly allow h(x) =-9 when all our terms in x add up to some number that isn't -9?...finally given that we know what allows h(0) = -9 what is h(x) when x = 3?

*edit* My apologies if there is a more accurate way of saying the above

Last edited:
hexa said:
and I don't see an h in the equation anymore :(

Hexa
See what I mean, Matt ;)

Also you might want to recheck your integration of [tex]e^{3x}[/tex].

Here's an example of another problem if what Greg said was confusing...

Given [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3x^2[/itex] and [itex]y(1)=9[/itex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=3x^2 \\[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dy}{dx} dx = \int 3x^2 dx\\[/tex]
[tex]y(x)=x^3 + c\\[/tex]

[tex]y(1)=9=(1)^3 + c\\[/tex]
[tex]9=1+c\\[/tex]
[tex]c=8\\[/tex]

[tex]y(x)=x^3 + 8[/tex]

Last edited:
You integrated one side of an equality (e^{3x}+x^2}, so why didn't you integrate the other side of the equality (h) too?

If x/3=2 and I wanted to find x what I'd presumably multiply by 3. if I multiply 2 by 3 I get 6, but now I've lost the x... This is exactly what you've just said but in a different example.

You have an equality, and you've forgotten to use it.

ok, I'm still busy... so stay tuned ;)
Next attempt for the integration:
(E^(3*x) + x^3)/3
1/3(x^3 + E^(3*x))

I think this should be correct now. Sorry for the complicated display... I should finally learn to use latex for this, I know...

Thus:
y(x) = 1/3(x^3 + E^(3*x)) + c
y(3) = -9 = 1/3(3^3 + E^(3*3)) +c
-9 = 1/3(27 + E^9) +c
-9 = 9 + 1/3 E^9 +c
c = 1/3 E^9
y(x) = 1/3(x^3 + E^(3*x)) + 1/3 E^9

?

You are making progress, but here are 3 comments...

1) The original function is h(x), so you should stick to it and avoid introducing y(x).

2) Is h(3) = -9? :confused: Please check your first post...

3) You wrote:
[tex] -9 = 9 + \frac{1}{3}e^{\displaystyle9} + c [/tex]
[tex]c = \frac{1}{3}e^\displaystyle9 [/tex]
Something seems wrong here, apart from the incorrect substitution (see comment 2)

Last edited:
Hello Pizzasky,

1) you are right of course. Didn't pay attention to that.
2) I know that h(0) =-9, and "calculate h for x=3"

I simply don't know how to subsititude that into the equation, regardless if the integration is correct or not. What I did I just more of less copied from dav2008.

Hexa

You need to find your constant of integration before substuting x =3 into your equation.

You know that;

[tex]h(0) = -9 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{3}e^{3\times 0} + \frac{1}{3} 0^3 + C = -9[/tex]

Solve for C.

Regards,
~Hoot

ok, so
C = -1/3e^(3*0) - 1/3*0^3 - 9
So C = -9
Then I put -9 into the euqaton before and subsititude for 3?
1/3e^(3x) - 1/3x^3 + C
1/3e^(3*3) - 1/3*3^3 - 9
(getting desperate)

Hexa

Not quite;

[tex]e^0 \neq 0[/tex]

[tex]e^0 = 1[/tex]

err... right... *blush*

thus
C = -8
and the rest of the process is correct?

Hexa

Aren't you forgetting something? Take a look at the coefficent of the exponential function. :wink:

right *getting more and more annoyed by herself*
I should not spend so much time on one type of sum, really. Thanks a lot to everyone. If I now manage to stay focussed things should work out.

Hexa

1. What are exponential equations?

Exponential equations are equations that involve an unknown variable in the exponent. They can be written in the form of y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable. These equations are commonly used to model growth, decay, and compound interest.

2. How do I solve an exponential equation?

To solve an exponential equation, you can use the properties of exponents and logarithms. If the equation is in the form of y = ab^x, you can take the logarithm of both sides to isolate the variable. If the equation is in the form of b^x = c, you can use the logarithm base b to solve for x.

3. What are polynomial equations?

Polynomial equations are equations that involve one or more variables raised to non-negative integer exponents. They can be written in the form of y = ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. These equations can have multiple terms and can be of different degrees.

4. How do I solve a polynomial equation?

To solve a polynomial equation, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division. The method used will depend on the degree of the polynomial and the given values. It is also important to check for extraneous solutions, which may occur when taking the square root of both sides.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve exponential and polynomial equations?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve these types of equations. Most scientific or graphing calculators have functions for calculating exponents and solving polynomial equations. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving these equations by hand.