How do I explain quantum superposition?

In summary, superposition is a way of describing the observation of a particle in more than one state or location at the same time. The principle of wave-particle duality, which was recognized as a wrong turn in the development of quantum mechanics, is used to explain how a particle can be in multiple states at once before it is observed.
Bianca Meske
I'm a student trying to explain quantum superposition without using Schrodinger's cat. Instead, I'm trying to use the principal of wave particle duality to explain how a particle can be in multiple states (and locations) at once before it is observed due to wave properties. However, I'm unsure how to do this effectively and simply for others to understand. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bianca Meske said:
I'm a student trying to explain quantum superposition without using Schrodinger's cat.
Good. Schrodinger's cat is not an example of superposition, it is an example of how not to use superposition. Many popular "explanations" of the cat misunderstand what Schrodinger was doing when he described the thought experiment; in fact he was arguing that the idea of a cat in a superposition of dead and alive was absurd, and therefore that something was wrong with the then-current (almost a century ago) understanding of QM because it seemed to predict that result. We have many older threads here about this.
Instead, I'm trying to use the principal of wave particle duality to explain how a particle can be in multiple states (and locations) at once before it is observed due to wave properties.
Not so good. Wave-particle duality was recognized as a wrong turn in the development of quantum mechanics at about the same time that Schrodinger proposed the cat. Again, many oversimplified presentations of the theory miss this, and we have many threads about it.
However, I'm unsure how to do this effectively and simply for others to understand. Any ideas?
Some of the best examples of superposition come from photons directed at polarizers. The states "vertically polarized" and "horizontally polarized" can be written as superpositions of "polarized 45 degrees left" and "polarized 45 degrees right"; and the two 45 degree states can be written as superpositions of vertically polarized and horizontally polarized.

When a photon approaches a polarizing filter set at some arbitrary angle then no matter what the polarization of that photon is, we can rewrite it as a superposition of "polarized at the polarizer angle" and "polarized perpendicular to the polarizer angle". Same angle makes it through every time, perpendicular never does.

So can the double slit experiment be used accurately to explain superposition or no?

So, you just want to explain superposition? Just so it can be understood (by the average person) what that is even referring to?
You don't care how to explain it, as long as it is explained?

Bianca Meske said:
I'm a student trying to explain quantum superposition without using Schrodinger's cat. Instead, I'm trying to use the principal of wave particle duality to explain how a particle can be in multiple states (and locations) at once before it is observed due to wave properties. However, I'm unsure how to do this effectively and simply for others to understand. Any ideas?

Let's go back a few steps. Can you explain the "usual" superposition of waves? For example, if I take two waves of slightly different wavelengths, I can produce a superposition of those waves to produce a new wave.

Are you able to "explain" that?

Zz.

1. What is quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics that describes the ability of a quantum system to exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously.

2. How does quantum superposition work?

In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in a state of superposition, meaning they can exist in multiple states at the same time. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where particles have a certain probability of being in a particular state at any given time.

3. What is an example of quantum superposition?

An example of quantum superposition is the famous Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, where a cat is placed in a box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing poison, killing the cat. In this scenario, the cat is considered to be both alive and dead until the box is opened and the state is observed.

4. How is quantum superposition different from classical superposition?

Classical superposition refers to the ability of a physical system to be in multiple states at the same time, but this is only possible at the macroscopic level. In contrast, quantum superposition is a property of particles at the microscopic level and is governed by different laws and principles.

5. What are the applications of quantum superposition?

Quantum superposition has many practical applications, including in quantum computing, cryptography, and communication. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as MRI machines and atomic clocks.