How do I factor 4 term polynomial?

In summary, the conversation discusses factoring a polynomial and includes a visual aid. The steps for factoring are provided and the conversation concludes by stating that this may be a homework question and should be in the appropriate section.
jester0608
Hi guys, I'm not entirely good with factoring so I was wondering if any of you can show me how I would go about factoring this polynomial:
(With necessary steps if you can Please and thanks!)

36mx + 10y - 24x - 15my

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi jester0608! http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Here's a start, see whether you can complete the last line, then figure what comes next.

36mx + 10y - 24x - 15my
=36mx - 24x - 15my + 10y
=12*3mx - 12*2x - 5*3my + 5*2y
=12x*3m - 12x*2 - ...

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, this looks like homework, so should be in the homework help section.

1. How do I identify the factors of a 4-term polynomial?

To identify the factors of a 4-term polynomial, you can use the grouping method or the AC method. The grouping method involves grouping the terms into pairs and finding a common factor for each pair. The AC method involves finding two numbers that multiply to give the product of the first and last terms, and then using these numbers to factor the polynomial.

2. What is the difference between factoring and expanding a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial involves breaking it down into its factors, while expanding a polynomial involves multiplying out the factors to get the original polynomial. Factoring a polynomial can help simplify it and make it easier to solve, while expanding a polynomial can help identify patterns and relationships between terms.

3. How do I factor a 4-term polynomial with a leading coefficient other than 1?

If the leading coefficient of a 4-term polynomial is not 1, you can use the grouping method or the AC method, but you will also need to factor out the leading coefficient. This means dividing each term by the leading coefficient before applying the grouping or AC method.

4. Can all 4-term polynomials be factored?

No, not all 4-term polynomials can be factored. Some polynomials may be prime, meaning they cannot be broken down into smaller factors. Other polynomials may have complex or imaginary factors, which cannot be factored using real numbers.

5. How can factoring a 4-term polynomial help in solving equations?

Factoring a 4-term polynomial can help in solving equations by simplifying the polynomial and making it easier to manipulate. This can make it easier to isolate a variable and solve for its value. Factoring can also help identify any potential solutions to the equation by setting each factor equal to 0 and solving for the variable.