1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Factoring a complex polynomial

1. Oct 1, 2016 #1
    I've attached two equivalent complex equations, where one is written as a polynomial with 7 terms and the other is the factored form. I was just wondering how one can immediately write down the factored form based on the equation with 7 terms? Is there anything obvious (e.g. coefficient 1) or any particular method (possibly a general one) a person can use to find the factored form of the polynomial?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##1+z+z^2+\dots +z^{n-1} = \frac{z^n - 1}{z-1}##. I.e. the roots of ##z^n-1## are ##1## plus the roots of ##1+z+z^2+\dots +z^{n-1}##. They are called roots of unity (##z^n = 1 ##) and are equally distributed along the unit circle, starting at ##(1,0)##. Therefore they are multiples of the angle ##\frac{2 \pi}{n}##, i.e. ##\exp (i{\frac{k}{n} 2 \pi}) ## with ##k=0,\dots ,n-1##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted