How can I factor these polynomials?

• Thread starter cjackson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of factoring, specifically finding the greatest common factor. The conversation provides examples of how to find the greatest common factor for variables and numbers, and also mentions the concept of prime factors. The speaker also mentions that the book in question may have more detailed explanations and examples of different types of factorization.
cjackson
I'm in desperate need of help with factoring. Basically, how do you do it?

Below is an example of what I'm up against.

54c^2d^5e^3; 81d^3e^2

It wants me to find the greatest common factor.

http://www.rempub.com/80-activities-to-make-basic-algebra-easier

That is the book I'm working out of.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Notice that d and e are factors in common?
BTW: just checking - is that an actual example from the book or one you made up?

[tex]a^3=a\times a^2[/tex]
So if you wanted to find the greatest common factor of [itex]a^2; a^3[/itex] then it would be [itex]a^2[/itex]. Basically, if you have any [itex]a^n[/itex] for n greater than 2, then the common factor will always be the one with the smallest power index, in this case 2.

[tex]m^3n^5; n^7m^2[/tex]
In this case, the smallest index of the m's is 2, and the smallest of the n's is 5, hence the greatest common factor is [itex]m^2n^5[/itex].

For numbers, you need to break them up into their prime factors. For example,
[tex]12=4\times 3 = 2^2\times 3[/tex]
and
[tex]90 = 9\times 10 = 3^2\times 2\times 5[/tex]

This is the same problem as earlier with the variables, but now we just have numbers where variables would've otherwise been. It's the exact same procedure though, as long as you break the number into its prime factors.
So to find the great common factor of 12 and 90, we notice that the highest power of the 2's is 1 (hence just [itex]2^1=2[/itex]), the highest power of the 3's is 1, and 5 is only present in one of the numbers so no 5 common factor. Hence the answer is [itex]2^1\times 3^1=2\times 3 = 6[/itex].

Simon Bridge said:
Notice that d and e are factors in common?
BTW: just checking - is that an actual example from the book or one you made up?
It's straight from the book.

How do I factor monomials, binomials, trinomials and quadratic equations?

Here are some more examples from the book.

24x^3y^2-20x^2y^2+16xy^2

x^2+5x+6

3y^2+8y+4

cjackson said:
How do I factor monomials, binomials, trinomials and quadratic equations?
General factorization of polynomials is too involved for us to attempt to answer it here in an online forum. Your book must show worked examples of each type. If you have a question about a particular step in a single factorization, we can help you with that, but our role here is not to teach you a broad topic in algebra or other area of mathematics.

Thread closed.
cjackson said:
Here are some more examples from the book.

24x^3y^2-20x^2y^2+16xy^2

x^2+5x+6

3y^2+8y+4

Related to How can I factor these polynomials?

1. What is the process for factoring a polynomial?

The process for factoring a polynomial involves finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the polynomial, then using various methods such as grouping, difference of squares, or trial and error to factor the remaining terms.

2. How do I know when a polynomial is completely factored?

A polynomial is completely factored when it cannot be factored any further. This means that all of the terms in the polynomial are in their simplest forms and there are no common factors remaining.

3. Can all polynomials be factored?

Yes, all polynomials can be factored. However, some polynomials may require more complex methods and may not have factors that are easily recognizable.

4. What is the purpose of factoring a polynomial?

The main purpose of factoring a polynomial is to simplify and solve equations involving polynomials. It can also help in finding the x-intercepts (zeros) of a polynomial, which can be useful in graphing.

5. Are there any tricks or shortcuts for factoring polynomials?

There are some common patterns and techniques that can make factoring polynomials easier, such as recognizing perfect squares or using the difference of squares formula. However, factoring still requires practice and understanding of basic algebraic concepts.