How do I find A,B,C, and D in a sinusoidal function?

In summary, the equation for a sinusoidal function is y=Asin(2π/B(θ-C))+D, where A represents the amplitude, B represents the period, C represents the phase shift, and D represents the mean. To find these values for a specific function, we can use the formulae: amplitude = |A|, period = 2π/B, phase shift = C, and mean = D. For the given examples, the values are: amplitude = 1, period = π, phase shift = π/2, and mean = 1 for y=sin(2x-π)+1, and amplitude = 6, period = 2, phase shift = 0, and mean =
Randi
I really need someone to break it down for me. I think I understand A and D, but I am confused on B and C. I have some example problems. But first, the equation my pre-calculus teacher has given us is y=Asin(2π/B(θ-C))+D. But I am still having a lot of trouble.

Find amplitude, period, a phase shift, and the mean of the following sinusodial functions.
a.) y=sin(2x-π)+1
b.) y=6sin(πx)-1

The answers to a.) are 1. π. π/2. 1. and the answers to b.) are 6. 2. 0. -1.

I just don't understand how these answers were found. PLEASE HELP.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If we use the form:

\(\displaystyle y=A\sin\left(B(x-C)\right)+D\)

The amplitude is defined as $|A|$.

The period is:

\(\displaystyle T=\frac{2\pi}{B}\)

The phase shift is $C$. This comes from the horizontal shift of a function.

Finally, let's look at the mean. We may begin with:

\(\displaystyle -1\le\sin(\theta)\le1\)

Multiply through by $0\le A$ (if $A$ is negative, we would just reverse the inequality):

\(\displaystyle -A\le A\sin(\theta)\le A\)

Add through by $D$:

\(\displaystyle D-A\le A\sin(\theta)+D\le D+A\)

And so the mean will be the average of the boundaries:

\(\displaystyle \frac{(D-A)+(D+A)}{2}=\frac{2D}{2}=D\)

Now, for the first problem, we may write it as:

\(\displaystyle y=1\cdot\sin\left(2\left(x-\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\right)+1\)

So, we identify:

\(\displaystyle A=1,\,B=2,\,C=\frac{\pi}{2},\,D=1\)

And so the values are:

Amplitude: \(\displaystyle |1|=1\)

Period: \(\displaystyle T=\frac{2\pi}{2}=\pi\)

Phase shift: \(\displaystyle C=\frac{\pi}{2}\)

Mean: \(\displaystyle D=1\)

Now, see if you can do the second one. :D

Related to How do I find A,B,C, and D in a sinusoidal function?

1. How do I determine the amplitude of a sinusoidal function?

The amplitude of a sinusoidal function is the distance from the center line of the function to the maximum or minimum value. To find the amplitude, look at the coefficient of the sine or cosine term. If there is no coefficient, the amplitude is 1.

2. What is the period of a sinusoidal function?

The period of a sinusoidal function is the length of one complete cycle. To find the period, take the coefficient of the angle (x) and divide it by the coefficient of the sine or cosine term. If there is no coefficient, the period is 2π.

3. How do I find the phase shift of a sinusoidal function?

The phase shift of a sinusoidal function is the horizontal translation of the function. To find the phase shift, set the angle (x) equal to 0 and solve for the value of the variable. This will tell you how much the function has shifted to the left or right.

4. What is the equation for the midline of a sinusoidal function?

The midline of a sinusoidal function is the horizontal line that divides the maximum and minimum values of the function. To find the midline, take the average of the maximum and minimum values. This will give you the y-value of the midline. The equation for the midline is y = (maximum + minimum)/2.

5. How do I use the values of A, B, C, and D to graph a sinusoidal function?

To graph a sinusoidal function, you will need to use the values of A, B, C, and D. A represents the amplitude, B represents the period, C represents the phase shift, and D represents the vertical shift. Plot the points using these values and then connect them with a smooth curve. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph the function for you.