How do i find quantities in fusion formulae

In summary, the given equation shows the combination of two atoms of carbon-12 to form one atom of magnesium-24, with an energy yield of 13.93 MeV. To determine the energy yield for a specific quantity of carbon, one would need to know the branching ratios and energy release per reaction, and take into account the number of carbon atoms present. However, due to the complicated nature of carbon fusion, it is not possible to get an accurate answer and only approximations can be made using stellar models.
littleinstien
in the equation *C^12+C^12-->Mg^24+y(+13.93 MeV)* for what quantity is the energy assigned? and how would i plug in a certain amount of carbon?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understand your question correctly, the energy given is for two atoms of C12 combining to form one atom of Mg24. If you want to plug in an amount of carbon, count the atoms in the quantity.

The 13.93 MeV would be difference mass of the 2 C-12's and the Mg-24, and would be given off as a gamma ray for each nuclear reaction. Since it is based on 2 carbons, one would use the number of carbon atoms in half the carbon mass to determine a total energy yield.

The reaction is more likely when the carbon nuclei are traveling head on at each other.]

Keep in mind that other reactions are also possible, and perhaps more likely.

http://www.astrophysicsspectator.com/topics/stars/FusionCarbonOxygen.html

http://www.astro.cornell.edu/academics/courses/astro201/carbon_fusion.htm

http://physics.uoregon.edu/~jimbrau/astr122/Notes/ch20/carbon.html

Last edited:
thanks, but how then would i accurately find energy out come for a specific quantity?

littleinstien said:
thanks, but how then would i accurately find energy out come for a specific quantity?
A specific quantity of carbon?

Well, one would have to know the branching ratios (or yield fractions) of the possible reactions, i.e. the fraction of 12C + 12C reactions that result in each of several products, and how much energy is produced for each reaction.

Then it's a matter of taking the mass of 12C, determining the number of 12C nuclei, divide that by half because 1 C-C fusion uses two nuclei, and multipy by the yield fraction and energy per reactions.

So the total energy would be N/2*(f1Q1 + f2Q2 + . . . + fiQi) where fi is the yield fraction of reaction i, and Qi is the energy release per reaction i.

The number of atoms (nuclei) is just the mass (kg)*/(atom mass in amu *1.66E-27 kg/amu).

It's not really possible to get an 'accurate' answer because carbon fusion occurs under rather complicated circumstances that we cannot reproduce experimentally on Earth. We can produce 50 keV carbon ions, but they will not be +12 ions, and the target will not be ionized either, so one would have to go to higher energies. However, we cannot reproduce densities found in heavy stars (2 x 108 kg/m3). So the best we can do is approximate with models of stars.

1. How do I determine the quantities needed for a fusion formula?

To find the quantities needed for a fusion formula, you will first need to identify the elements involved in the fusion reaction. Then, you will need to determine the atomic masses of each element and convert them into grams. Finally, you can use the balanced chemical equation to determine the molar ratio between the reactants and products, which will allow you to calculate the quantities needed for the fusion reaction.

2. What is the difference between moles and grams in fusion formulae?

Moles and grams are two different units used in fusion formulae. Moles represent the amount of a substance in a given sample, while grams represent the mass of that substance. In fusion formulae, moles are used to determine the molar ratio between reactants and products, while grams are used to measure the actual quantity of each substance needed for the reaction.

3. How do I convert between moles and grams in fusion formulae?

To convert between moles and grams in fusion formulae, you will need to use the molar mass of each element involved in the reaction. The molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and is expressed in grams per mole. To convert from moles to grams, multiply the number of moles by the molar mass. To convert from grams to moles, divide the mass by the molar mass.

4. Can I use any fusion formula to determine quantities?

No, you cannot use any fusion formula to determine quantities. Each fusion reaction is unique and requires a specific formula based on the elements involved. It is important to use the correct formula for the specific reaction you are trying to carry out in order to determine the correct quantities.

5. What is the significance of quantities in fusion formulae?

Quantities play a critical role in fusion formulae as they determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a certain amount of products. Without the correct quantities, the reaction will not proceed as expected and may not produce the desired result. It is important to accurately determine and measure quantities in fusion formulae to ensure the success of the reaction.