1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I find the directional derivative?

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    Find the directional derivative of f(x,y)= ln sqrt(x^2+y^2) at (x,y) does not = (0,0) toward the origin

I found the gradient: grad f(x,y)=1/(x^2+y^2)*(xi+yj) but I have no idea what to do after that.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How are you given the direction? The directional derivative of f(x,y) in the direction of the unit vector [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] is [itex]\nabla f\cdot \vec{u}[/itex].

The directional derivative of of f(x,y) in the direction of any vector [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] can be done by finding a unit vector in that direction first: [itex]\vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex] and is [itex]\nabla f\cdot \vec{v}/|\vec{v}|[/itex].

If the direction is at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis (whether the point at which you are finding the derivative is (0,0) or not), then a unit vector in that direction is [itex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/itex] and so the directional derivative is
    [tex]\nabla f(x,y)\cdot (cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j})= \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}cos(\theta)+ \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}sin(\theta)[/tex]

Of course, if the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] is with the y-axis, just swap "sine" and "cosine".
  4. Jul 13, 2008 #3
    When re-examining the problem I solved for grad f*u/|u| which gives (xi+yj)/[sqrt(x^2+y^2)]*[1/(x^2+y^2)*(xi+yj)] which when solved gives: (x^2+y^2)^(-1/2) which I believe is the correct answer.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?