How do I find the first derivative of a function using the power rule?

In summary: The general rule is to multiply the numerator and denominator by whatever is necessary to get rid of any negative exponents.
raeshun
f(x)=x^2-3x-3x^-2+5x^-3

I need help finding the 1st derivative of this function using the power rule.If you can help can you explain how you got the answer.I tried like five times but the differentiation calculator says I am getting the wrong answer.heres how o attempted it.

f(x)'=(2)(x)^2-1 - (3)(x)^1-1 - (3)(-2)(x)^-2-1 + (-3)(5)(x)^-3-1

here i am applying the power rule to each variable, coefficient and exponent group they each have a different color to help you identify them with the original function.

f(x)'=2x-3+6x^-3 -15x^-4
and this is the answer i get

this is the answer i should get

f(x)'=(2x^5-3x^4+6x-15)/(x^4)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
raeshun said:
f(x)=x^2-3x-3x^-2+5x^-3

I need help finding the 1st derivative of this function using the power rule.If you can help can you explain how you got the answer.I tried like five times but the differentiation calculator says I am getting the wrong answer.heres how o attempted it.

f(x)'=(2)(x)^2-1 - (3)(-2)(x)^1-1 - (3)(x)^-2-1 + (-3)(5)(x)^-3-1

ooo colors!
Notice the edit (in boldface) I have made. Do you see where you went wrong?

Sourabh N said:
ooo colors!
Notice the edit (in boldface) I have made. Do you see where you went wrong?

i fixed it.the coefficients are right but the exponents don't match up.

They do match for me. Can you show what you're getting? (and how you obtain it)

The two answers are exactly the same. Just do the indicated division.

You'll find this more and more in calculus. Your answer and the answer key may look different but still be equivalent.

HallsofIvy said:
The two answers are exactly the same. Just do the indicated division.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
You'll find this more and more in calculus. Your answer and the answer key may look different but still be equivalent.

I'm sorry i am new to differentiation but how to i do the division?

You don't actually have to do any division. Multiply the numerator by x4 and multiply the denominator by x4. In other words, you're multiplying your answer by 1, to get rid of the negative exponents in the numerator.

Mark44 said:
You don't actually have to do any division. Multiply the numerator by x4 and multiply the denominator by x4. In other words, you're multiplying your answer by 1, to get rid of the negative exponents in the numerator.

It worked thanks :).but why do you multiply by x^4 instead of X^3 or something like that?

raeshun said:
It worked thanks :).but why do you multiply by x^4 instead of X^3 or something like that?
... because you have an x-4 in you expression for the derivative.

raeshun said:

SammyS said:

Also because there is an x4 in the denominator in the answer. ;)

raeshun said:

SammyS said:

Sourabh N said:
Also because there is an x4 in the denominator in the answer. ;)
The only reason for multiplying by x4 over itself is because of the x-4 term in the numerator. The x4 is a result of this multiplication, not the reason for it.

Related to How do I find the first derivative of a function using the power rule?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical concept that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is essentially finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of functions. It is also a fundamental tool in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What is an easy differentiation problem?

An easy differentiation problem is one that involves finding the derivative of a simple function, such as a polynomial or exponential function. These problems typically only require basic differentiation rules and can be solved using simple algebraic manipulations.

4. How do you solve an easy differentiation problem?

To solve an easy differentiation problem, you first need to identify the function and its independent variable. Then, you can use the basic differentiation rules, such as the power rule or the product rule, to find the derivative. Finally, simplify the resulting expression to get your final answer.

5. Can you provide an example of an easy differentiation problem?

Yes, an example of an easy differentiation problem would be finding the derivative of the function f(x) = 3x^2 + 2x. First, we identify the function (3x^2 + 2x) and its independent variable (x). Then, using the power rule, we can find the derivative to be f'(x) = 6x + 2. This is an example of an easy differentiation problem because it only required the application of one basic differentiation rule.