How do I make a current source?

In summary, you can use an opamp circuit to generate a constant current output from a generator that produces varying voltages.
Curl
I have an AC generator hooked up to a non-constant torque. The rate of change of flux through the wire loops will vary, thus the voltage will vary. However, I want to draw a constant current from this generator.

How do I make a circuit that can limit a current regardless of voltage? Say I want a constant 250mA, given that my voltage is enough to sustain this power.

Thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Curl said:
I have an AC generator hooked up to a non-constant torque. The rate of change of flux through the wire loops will vary, thus the voltage will vary. However, I want to draw a constant current from this generator.

How do I make a circuit that can limit a current regardless of voltage? Say I want a constant 250mA, given that my voltage is enough to sustain this power.

Thanks for the help!

Is the output of the generator already rectified to some DC voltage range?

Are you familiar with opamp circuits? You can use an opamp circuit driving a power transistor (PNP for high-side current source) to do what you want.

An incandescence light bulb has sort of a constant current load. Would that work for you?

More details about what you are trying to do would be helpful.

Generator puts out varying (depending on torque supplied to generator) 0-24V (AC) and I want to use the energy to either charge a battery or capacitor or to run another motor at constant speed (constant current).

On the other hand, a circuit that would yield a constant voltage is good too, say I want to convert my varying AC source into a 5V DC voltage source.

I'm familiar with operational amplifiers, capacitors and inductors. I don't think I'll have a problem figuring out and tweaking circuits, I just need a starting point. I don't know how to use transistors. berkeman, can you post a diagram or source/link to the circuit you described?

1. How does a current source work?

A current source is a device that maintains a constant flow of electrical current through a circuit, regardless of changes in load or other external factors. It works by regulating the voltage across the load to maintain a constant current, similar to how a voltage source maintains a constant voltage.

2. What components are needed to make a current source?

The basic components needed for a simple current source are a voltage source, a resistor, and a transistor. The voltage source provides the input voltage, the resistor limits the amount of current flowing through the circuit, and the transistor acts as a regulator to maintain a constant current.

3. What is the difference between a current source and a voltage source?

A voltage source provides a constant voltage output, while a current source provides a constant current output. In a voltage source, the current may vary depending on the resistance of the load, while in a current source, the voltage may vary depending on the load resistance.

4. How do I calculate the value of the resistor for a current source?

The value of the resistor in a current source can be calculated using Ohm's law (R=V/I), where R is the resistance, V is the input voltage, and I is the desired output current. The resistor value should be chosen to limit the current to the desired value.

5. Can I use a current source to power multiple components?

Yes, a current source can be used to power multiple components in a circuit as long as the total current required by the components does not exceed the output current of the current source. However, it is important to consider the individual current requirements of each component and adjust the resistor value accordingly to maintain a constant current.