How do I measure drag force on an airplane wing?

In summary, the wing has a lift to drag ratio which can be measured by using a scale that is attached to the model with a weight. The reduction in weight is the drag force on the model.
barca12345
I am trying to measure the lift to drag ratio of a wing.
I am measuring the lift by using a electronic scale.
But how on Earth can I measure the drag force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Basically the same principle but do it sideways.

Presumably you have the wing on a stand sitting on a scale?
Put the scale on wheels, so the wind will blow it and the wing backwards.
Use a Newtonmeter to stop the motion.

You can probably come up with something better - this is just to give you the idea.

Likes 1 person
barca12345 said:
I am trying to measure the lift to drag ratio of a wing.
I am measuring the lift by using a electronic scale.
But how on Earth can I measure the drag force?
Put a weight on the scale, and attach it with a string to your model (free to move horizontally), parallel to the airflow (via a pulley). The reduction of the measured weight is the drag force on the model.

Or build a L-shaped lever, with the pivot at the corner. Attach model to top end, and put scale under bottom end. Take the lever arm ratio into account.

Simon Bridge said:
Put the scale on wheels, so the wind will blow it and the wing backwards.
Use a Newtonmeter to stop the motion.

A.T. said:
Put a weight on the scale, and attach it with a string to your model (free to move horizontally), parallel to the airflow (via a pulley). The reduction of the measured weight is the drag force on the model.

The practical problem with both those ideas is that putting the measuring device in front of the wing will probably mess up the air flow before it reaches the wing. The L shaped lever idea could fix that problem, so long as you can still control the angle of attack of the wing in the experiment.

Point the wing up and point the fan down.
Then just use the same scale - after taring it with the fan off.

.Scott said:
Point the wing up and point the fan down.
Then just use the same scale - after taring it with the fan off.

Unless you measure the lift and drag forces with the same flow conditions, the results won't mean much.

I assumed the OP was working in a wind tunnel, even if it is a simple home-built one. Just putting a fan in front of the wing won't tell you anything very useful about either lift or drag, since the airflow won't be uniform over the wing.

AlephZero said:
Just putting a fan in front of the wing won't tell you anything very useful about either lift or drag, since the airflow won't be uniform over the wing.
barca12345 said:
Hello guys!
New here. Grade 11 student.
He could be doing anything.

Normally lift and drag are measured using two sensors, one for vertical force, one for horizontal force. There also needs to be some method to hold a constant angle of attack, while allowing the vertical and horizontal sensors to operate without being affected by the torque produced by the wing.

Amazing what you can do with some thread, a pulley and some small weights.

Related to How do I measure drag force on an airplane wing?

1. What is drag on an airplane wing?

Drag is the force that resists the motion of an airplane through the air. It is caused by the interaction between the airplane and the air molecules.

2. How is drag created on an airplane wing?

Drag is created when the air molecules are pushed away by the wing as the airplane moves forward. This creates an area of low pressure on the top of the wing and an area of high pressure on the bottom, resulting in a net force that opposes the motion of the airplane.

3. How does the shape of an airplane wing affect drag?

The shape of an airplane wing plays a crucial role in determining the amount of drag it creates. A streamlined and curved wing can reduce drag by allowing the air to flow smoothly around it, while a flat or angled wing can create more drag by disrupting the air flow.

4. Can drag on an airplane wing be reduced?

Yes, there are various ways to reduce drag on an airplane wing, such as using aerodynamic designs, smooth surfaces, and streamlined shapes. Additionally, using flaps and slats on the wings can help to control and reduce drag during different phases of flight.

5. How does airspeed affect drag on an airplane wing?

Drag is directly proportional to airspeed, which means that as the speed of the airplane increases, so does the drag. This is why airplanes need more thrust to maintain speed at higher altitudes where the air is thinner and airspeed is reduced.