How do I set up this Legendre Transform for Hamiltonian

In summary: The conjugate pair is ##\dot{q}## and ##p##, which take the place of ##y## and ##v## in the Wolfram definition.
13Nike

Homework Statement

Im trying to understand the Legendre transform from Lagrange to Hamiltonian but I don't get it. This pdf was good but when compared to wolfram alphas example they're slightly different even when accounting for variables. I think one of them is wrong. I trust wolfram over the pdf but I like the pdf approach better. How does the wolfram formula relate to Lagrange formula given by wolfram? for example

• f = L
  • x = ?
  • y = ?
  • u = (p maybe ?)
  • v = ?
  • g = H
also in the original pdf it states H is negative when H = L - p qdot. Why? Mathematically and physically why is this, and why does the Hamiltonian equations H = p qdot- L (in one dimension) equal to just the derivative of H in respect to q and p?

Homework Equations

Equation 6 in the pdf says that its negative? It likes like they're saying g(arbitrary) is -H = (L-p qdot) therefore H = (p qdot - L) I am confused as to why it can be -H.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to do the matching above but I don't think I'm doing it right.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you first identify what variables the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian depend on. Then you can identify which variable is being replaced by the another.

Both the PDF and MathWorld are saying the same thing. I'm not sure why you think there's an inconsistency.

As far as the sign of H goes, if you do the plain old Legendre transformation on the Lagrangian, you end up with a quantity that's equal to the negative of the total energy. We define H to be the negative of that quantity so we can identify it with the energy of the system rather than keeping the pesky negative sign around.

vela said:
Why don't you first identify what variables the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian depend on. Then you can identify which variable is being replaced by the another.

Both the PDF and MathWorld are saying the same thing. I'm not sure why you think there's an inconsistency.

As far as the sign of H goes, if you do the plain old Legendre transformation on the Lagrangian, you end up with a quantity that's equal to the negative of the total energy. We define H to be the negative of that quantity so we can identify it with the energy of the system rather than keeping the pesky negative sign around.

Okay thanks I understand the negative part but in terms of deriving it I would like to wolfram's formal definition but I don't get how it relates to Lagrangian. Can you help me where I'm wrong. L is a function of q and qdot, H is a function of q and p. Therefor qdot is being replaced with p. In other words, q and qdot are the independant variables. Meaning that qdot and p are the conjugate pairs? The equivalent table using the wolfram definition would be
  • f = L
  • x = q
  • y = qdot
  • u = u
  • v = p
  • g = H
?

I think you meant ##u=q##. Yes, ##q## and ##\dot{q}## are independent variables, and ##\dot{q}## and ##p##, which is defined as ##p=\partial{L}/\partial{\dot{q}}##, are the conjugate pair.

vela said:
I think you meant ##u=q##. Yes, ##q## and ##\dot{q}## are independent variables, and ##\dot{q}## and ##p##, which is defined as ##p=\partial{L}/\partial{\dot{q}}##, are the conjugate pair.
I don't think that's correct for the equivalency? What is x then?

##x## is ##q##. It's the variable that remains. That's why ##u=q## as well.

1. How do I determine the Legendre Transform for a given Hamiltonian?

The Legendre Transform for a Hamiltonian is given by taking the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the generalized momenta, and inverting the result. This can be written as H* = p* = dH/dp. This transformation is used to rewrite the Hamiltonian in terms of the conjugate variables, and is commonly used in Hamiltonian mechanics.

2. What is the significance of the Legendre Transform in Hamiltonian mechanics?

The Legendre Transform is essential in Hamiltonian mechanics as it allows us to transform the Hamiltonian from a function of the generalized coordinates and velocities to a function of the conjugate variables - the generalized momenta and positions. This transformation simplifies the equations of motion and makes them easier to solve.

3. How does the Legendre Transform relate to the Lagrangian of a system?

The Legendre Transform is closely related to the Lagrangian of a system. In fact, the Hamiltonian is often defined as the Legendre Transform of the Lagrangian. This means that the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian are equivalent descriptions of the same physical system, and can be used interchangeably to analyze the system.

4. Can the Legendre Transform be applied to any Hamiltonian system?

Yes, the Legendre Transform can be applied to any Hamiltonian system, as long as the Hamiltonian is a function of the generalized coordinates and momenta. This includes both classical and quantum mechanical systems. However, it is important to note that the Legendre Transform is only applicable to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when setting up the Legendre Transform for a Hamiltonian?

One common mistake is forgetting to take the derivative of the Hamiltonian with respect to the generalized momenta. Another mistake is not properly inverting the result, which can lead to incorrect equations of motion. It is also important to make sure that the Hamiltonian is a function of the conjugate variables, and not just any arbitrary function of the generalized coordinates and velocities.