How Do I Simplify the Function f(x) = cos(x)(3cos(3x)) + (sin(3x))(-sin(x))?

In summary, the conversation is about simplifying the function f(x)= cosx(3cos3x) + (sin3x)(-sinx) and finding the value of f(pi/6). The person is seeking help with this task and mentions a possible typo in the function. They also note that the value of f(pi/6) should be easy to find.
Gill
hey, i need to simplify this, and I am having a brain fart:confused: ...can u help me?

f(x)= cosx(3cos3x) + (sin3x)(-sinx)

i then have to find f(pi/6), but I am hoping i can do that once this is simplified...

thanks
Gill

Physics news on Phys.org
Gill said:
hey, i need to simplify this, and I am having a brain fart:confused: ...can u help me?
f(x)= cosx(3cos3x) + (sin3x)(-sinx)
i then have to find f(pi/6), but I am hoping i can do that once this is simplified...
thanks
Gill

I wonder you made a typo... is cosx(3cos3x) [tex]\cos(x*3\cos(3x))[/tex] or [tex]\cos(x)*3\cos(3x)[/tex]? Please place braces and it will clarify. But as for f(pi/6), it looks easy in any typo cases, because [tex]\cos(3*\pi/6) = 0, \sin(3*\pi/6) = 1[/tex] :smile:

Sure, I can definitely help you simplify this expression. The first step would be to use the trigonometric identity cos(A+B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB to rewrite the first term as cosx(cos3x) - sinx(sin3x). Then, we can use another identity, sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB, to rewrite the second term as (sin3x)(cosx) - (cos3x)(sinx).

Next, we can distribute the coefficients to get cosxcos3x - sinxsin3x + sin3xcosx - cos3xsinx. Now, we can use the fact that cosxcos3x = 1/2(cos(x+3x) + cos(x-3x)) and sinxsin3x = 1/2(cos(x-3x) - cos(x+3x)) to simplify further. This gives us 1/2(cos4x) + 1/2(cos2x) - 1/2(sin4x) + 1/2(sin2x).

Finally, we can use the double angle identities cos2x = 1/2(1 + cos4x) and sin2x = 1/2(1 - cos4x) to get our final simplified expression: 1/2 + 1/4(cos4x) - 1/4(sin4x).

Now, to find f(pi/6), we can simply substitute pi/6 for x in our simplified expression. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations!

Related to How Do I Simplify the Function f(x) = cos(x)(3cos(3x)) + (sin(3x))(-sin(x))?

What is simplifying f(x)?

Simplifying f(x) is the process of reducing a mathematical expression to its simplest form by combining like terms and using mathematical properties and rules.

Why is simplifying f(x) important?

Simplifying f(x) is important because it helps make complex expressions easier to understand and work with. It also allows us to find solutions and make calculations more efficiently.

How do I simplify f(x)?

To simplify f(x), start by combining any like terms (terms with the same variables and exponents). Then, use the distributive property to remove parentheses and combine any like terms again. Repeat these steps until the expression is in its simplest form.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when simplifying f(x)?

Common mistakes when simplifying f(x) include forgetting to combine like terms, distributing incorrectly, or not following the order of operations. It's important to double-check your work and use parentheses when necessary to avoid these mistakes.

Can I simplify f(x) if it has variables?

Yes, you can simplify f(x) even if it has variables. As long as you follow the rules of simplifying, the variables will remain in the expression. However, if you are looking for a specific solution or value, you may need to substitute in values for the variables and simplify the resulting expression.