How do I solve an equation with a variable in the numerator?

• Thread starter AVReidy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Variable
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve an absolute value equation involving a variable in a fraction. The suggested method is to multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator, as this does not change the equality. This method can be applied even if the variable is in the denominator. Alternative methods, such as writing the fraction as two separate fractions, are also mentioned.
AVReidy

Homework Statement

I just missed a 16-point question on a quiz because I didn't know how to separate the variable. It was an absolute value equation, but I just need to know how to deal with a variable in a fraction. Here's what it looked like:

Homework Equations

(5x+10)/2 = 20

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried multiplying everything by the denominator, but I'm not sure if or why that works. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiplying by denominator should work. You can do anything that doesn't change the equality - that means adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing both sides of the equation by the same thing.

Or you could write the fraction as [itex]\frac {5x}{2} + \frac {10}{2}[/itex].

Thanks!

The easiest way is to multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator. The reason why this works is because it doesn't change the equality.

(5x+10)/2 = 20
5x+10 = 40
5x = 30
x = 6

Even if the variable was in the denominator, you can still solve for the variable using the same steps.

2/(5x+10) = 20
2 = 100x + 200
-198 = 100x
-198/100 = x
x = -99/50

1. How do I get rid of the variable in the numerator?

To get rid of the variable in the numerator, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator. This will cancel out the variable in the numerator and leave you with a simplified equation.

2. Can I just ignore the variable in the numerator and solve for the other variable?

No, you cannot ignore the variable in the numerator. It is an important part of the equation and must be dealt with in order to find the solution.

3. What if there are more than one variable in the numerator?

If there are multiple variables in the numerator, you can still solve the equation by using the same method of multiplying both sides by the denominator. However, you may need to use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms and factoring to simplify the equation.

4. Is there a specific order I should follow when solving an equation with a variable in the numerator?

Yes, there is a specific order you should follow when solving an equation with a variable in the numerator. First, identify the variable in the numerator and determine the denominator. Then, multiply both sides by the denominator to get rid of the variable in the numerator. Finally, simplify the equation and solve for the variable.

5. Can I solve an equation with a variable in the numerator using a calculator?

While a calculator can be helpful in checking your work, it is not necessary to solve an equation with a variable in the numerator. This type of equation can be solved using algebraic techniques and does not require a calculator.