How do I solve this integral for the arc length of a cardioid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 4K views
Telemachus
Messages
820
Reaction score
30

Homework Statement


Hi there. Well, the problem statement says: Calculate the arc length of the cardioid [tex]\rho=a(1+\cos\theta)[/tex].

Homework Equations


So I used the formula for the arc length in the polar form:

[tex]\int_a^b \! \sqrt{(\rho)^2+(\displaystyle\frac{d\rho}{d\theta})^2} \, d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


Then I get
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{(a+a\cos\theta)^2+(-a\sin\theta)^2} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2+2a^2\cos\theta+a^2\cos^2\theta+a^2\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2(2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta)} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! |a|\sqrt{2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta=|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{2\cos\theta+1} \, d\theta[/tex]

I can't solve this integral, I don't know how to. Any help?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:

Homework Statement


Hi there. Well, the problem statement says: Calculate the arc length of the cardioid [tex]\rho=a(1+\cos\theta)[/tex].


Homework Equations


So I used the formula for the arc length in the polar form:

[tex]\int_a^b \! \sqrt{(\rho)^2+(\displaystyle\frac{d\rho}{d\theta})^2} \, d\theta[/tex]


The Attempt at a Solution


Then I get
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{(a+a\cos\theta)^2+(-a\sin\theta)^2} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2+2a^2\cos\theta+a^2\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta[/tex]
In the equation above, you're missing a term.
Telemachus said:
[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2(2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta)} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! |a|\sqrt{2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta=|a|\int_{0^2\pi} \!\sqrt{2\cos\theta+1} \, d\theta[/tex]

I can't solve this integral, I don't know how to. Any help?
 
Sorry:
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2+2a^2\cos\theta+a^2\cos^2\theta+a^2\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta[/tex]

Thats it.
 
That's it. With some simplification, the quantity in the radical is 2a2 + 2a2cos(theta). I'm not sure there's a nice, neat closed form antiderivative for this problem. Are you sure you have to actually evaluate the integral, or do you just need to set it up?
 
You can write 1+cos(theta) as a perfect square using a double (or half) angle formula.
 
Mm it asked for the arc length, didn't say just set it up. Mathematica gives 4 Sqrt[3] Abs[a] EllipticE[4/3] as the solution, and I don't know what the hell "EllipticE" means, less how to arrive to that result :P

The other I had of the same kind I think I've solved it right, but it was easier, it asks for the second revolution of the spiral [tex]\rho=e^{2\theta}[/tex]

So I did [tex]\rho'=2e^{2theta}[/tex]

[tex]\int_{2\pi}^{4\pi} \! \sqrt{(e^{2\theta})^2+(2e^{2\theta})^2} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{2\pi}^{4\pi} \! \sqrt{e^{4\theta}+(4e^{4\theta}} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{2\pi}^{4\pi} \! \sqrt{5e^{4\theta}} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int_{2\pi}^{4\pi} \! \sqrt{5e^{4\theta}} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{5}\int_{2\pi}^{4\pi} \! e^{2\theta} \, d\theta[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{5}(\dysplaystyle\frac{e^{8\pi}-e^{4\pi}}{2})[/tex]

Is that right?
 
Dick said:
You can write 1+cos(theta) as a perfect square using a double (or half) angle formula.

I think I can use the half angle formula (I watched at wikipedia after your post).
This:
[tex]\cos \frac{\theta}{2} = \pm\, \sqrt{\frac{1 + \cos\theta}{2}}[/tex]

Am I right? thanks Dick

Mark44 said:
Mathematica is saying that the first integral is an elliptic integral (see here).

Your work for the second integral looks fine.

Thanks Mark
 
mm It seems it won't help, I've tried factorizing the 2, but...

[tex]|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{2\cos\theta+1} \, d\theta=\sqrt{2}|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{\cos\theta+\dyslpaystyle\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

I thought I was on the right way, but I've missed that the denominator 2 its only for the 1 inside the square root.

And the double angle formula I think it's not going to work neither

[tex]\begin{align}<br /> \cos 2\theta &= \cos^2 \theta - \sin^2 \theta \\ &= \color{red} 2 \cos^2 \theta - 1 \color{black} \\ <br /> &= 1 - 2 \sin^2 \theta \\ &= \frac{1 - \tan^2 \theta} {1 + \tan^2 \theta}<br /> \end{align}[/tex]

It seems to me that Mark were right :P
 
Last edited:
You're using the integrand with the mistake in it. (You can tell it's wrong because the radicand is negative for some values of theta.) Use the correct one you found later, and you'll be able to integrate it using Dick's hint.
 
I don't think so, I can't see the mistake. I've already corrected the one that Mark marked :P
 
Telemachus said:
[tex]=\int_0^{2\pi} \! |a|\sqrt{2\cos\theta+\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta=|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{2\cos\theta+1} \, d\theta[/tex]
That was your original integral.
Telemachus said:
Sorry:
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{a^2+2a^2\cos\theta+a^2\cos^2\theta+a^2\sin^2\theta} \, d\theta[/tex]
And that was your corrected one.
Telemachus said:
[tex]|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{2\cos\theta+1} \, d\theta=\sqrt{2}|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \!\sqrt{\cos\theta+\dyslpaystyle\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]
Now you are using the original one again, which has the mistake.
 
vela,
This is the original integral:
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{(a+a\cos\theta)^2+(-a\sin\theta)^2} \, d\theta[/tex]

The radicand simplifies to
[tex]\sqrt{2a^2(1 + cos(\theta))}[/tex]
 
Right, I had a mistake there. Thanks both. So the integral keeps this way:

[tex]\sqrt{2}|a|\int_0^{2\pi} \! \sqrt{1+\cos\theta} \, d\theta[/tex] Dividing and multiplying by two I can get something to apply the half angle formula as Dick said before.