Can the ODE \psi''-y^2\psi=0 be solved using a general method?

In summary, the conversation discusses an ODE, specifically the equation \psi''-y^2\psi=0, solved in the limit of y tending to infinity. The individual has attempted to solve it using different methods, but ultimately found success by guessing a solution of the form e^{f(y)}. They also mention a possible general method for solving this type of ODE, which involves expanding in Laurent series at infinity and factoring out y^m.
Luke Tan
TL;DR Summary
How do i solve this ODE?
When reading through Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, I came across this ODE
Screenshot_3.png

[tex]\psi''-y^2\psi=0[/tex]
solved in the limit where y tends to infinity.

I have tried separating variables and attempted to use an integrating factor to solve this in the general case before taking the limit, but they didn't work.

I also tried to guess a solution of the form [itex]e^{f(y)}[/itex], and it quickly became clear that [tex]f(y)=\frac{y^2}{2}[/tex], but it feels like my guess is unmotivated and i didn't get the [itex]y^m[/itex] term since i didn't guess it would be there.

Is there any general method for this kind of ODE?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to expand in Laurent series at infinity and factor out ##y^m##...

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How do I know if an ODE is solvable?

An ODE is considered solvable if it has a closed-form solution, meaning that the solution can be expressed in terms of known mathematical functions. However, not all ODEs have closed-form solutions and may require numerical methods for solving.

3. What are the steps for solving an ODE?

The general steps for solving an ODE are: 1) Identify the type of ODE (linear, nonlinear, separable, etc.), 2) Transform the equation into a standard form, if necessary, 3) Determine the initial conditions, 4) Use analytical or numerical methods to solve the equation, and 5) Check the solution with the initial conditions.

4. What are some common methods for solving ODEs?

Some common analytical methods for solving ODEs include separation of variables, integrating factors, and variation of parameters. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods, and finite difference methods, are also commonly used for solving ODEs.

5. Can I use a computer program to solve ODEs?

Yes, there are many computer programs and software packages available for solving ODEs. These programs use numerical methods to approximate the solution and can handle complex and high-dimensional ODEs. However, it is still important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and methods for solving ODEs.