Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do I use heat to create cooling?

1. Jul 23, 2007 #1
    Hi.

I'm looking for a easy way of using heat to create cooling. I am trying to make a device that will use the heat from one place, to cool something in another place down. Maybe this is more for the engineer forum, but what I need to know first of all is the names of the processes. For the cooling part is was thinking of using something like that, that is in a refrigerator. But first of all I don't know what it's, and I don't know how it works, since I don't know what to search after without a name for that process.
    The refrigerator part obvious gets its power from the heat, but I don't know what device to use, to transform heat to power.

Cheers Anders

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It depends on the specifics of your application, but there is such a device that uses heat for cooling called an absorption chiller: http://www.energybooks.com/toc/toc1133.htm

What exactly are you looking to do?

4. Jul 23, 2007 #3
    Heat is the motion of energy from one area to another area; what you want to do is setup some sort of gradient such that you can get the source (kinetic energy) and turn it into some destination, just like wind turbines work. The more heat you have, the more gas-like or plasma-like your substance becomes, and plasmas are basically known to be moving so quickly that atoms are ripped into ions, etc.

- Bryan

5. Jul 24, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A simple system http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
    If you have a lot of heat or it is a greater distance away it might be better to use the heat source to directly drive a turbine and then use that to power a compressor in a conventional refrigerator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?