Can Sketching Reveal the Solution to This Integral?

In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to solve an integral and has been suggested to sketch the constituent functions and multiply them to find the answer. They have attempted to solve it themselves but are unsure of the correct method. They are seeking assistance with solving the integral.
wirefree
I greatly appreciate this chance to submit a query.

I have the following integral: $$\int_{1}^t 2sin(t-\tau)e^{-2(t-1)} d\tau$$

and it has been suggested to me that if I sketch the two constituent functions and multiply them, I can read the answer off the paper. So here are my sketches: go straight to the 3rd arrow

1zme2rd.jpg

Don't let alternative integral side-track you; it involves something called "convolution" and is something I am grappling with too.

My firtst attempt: There is clearly some area under the graphs, so the answer is not 0. The alternatives I have are: 0, 1 or 2. But, surely, that's not something I can read that off the graph?

My second attempt: I just did the integral by taking $$2e^{-2(t-1)}$$ out; but that simply integrates down to an expression in terms of 't', and without any value of 't' I can't see how a definite answer can be obtained.

Any assistance with tackling the above would be helpful I am sure. Your advice is sought.wirefree

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can put outside the integral the factors without ##\tau## so you can integrate ##\int_{1}^{t}\sin{(t-\tau)}d\,\tau## that is elementary, you obtain in this way an Area function that depends only by ##t##.

What is Integration by Sketching?

Integration by sketching is a method used in calculus to find the definite integral of a function by visually representing it on a graph and calculating the area underneath the curve. It is a useful technique for solving integration problems that do not have a direct algebraic solution.

What are the steps involved in Integration by Sketching?

The steps involved in Integration by Sketching are:
1. Graph the function and identify the area to be integrated.
2. Divide the area into smaller, simpler shapes (such as rectangles or triangles).
3. Calculate the area of each shape using basic geometry formulas.
4. Sum up the areas of all the shapes to get an approximation of the integral.
5. As the number of shapes increases, the approximation becomes more accurate and approaches the actual value of the integral.

When is Integration by Sketching used?

Integration by sketching is used when the function being integrated is too complex to solve using traditional integration techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. It is also used when the limits of integration are not given, and the area under the curve needs to be determined.

What are the advantages of Integration by Sketching?

Integration by sketching is a visual and intuitive method for solving integration problems. It allows for a better understanding of the concept of integration and provides a more accurate result compared to other approximation methods. It also helps in checking the accuracy of other integration techniques.

What are the limitations of Integration by Sketching?

Integration by sketching can be time-consuming and requires a good understanding of basic geometry concepts. It is also limited to functions that can be easily graphed. Additionally, the accuracy of the result depends on the number of shapes used for approximation, and it may not always provide an exact solution.