How do periods and masses relate in oscillating springs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
littlejon
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


phys 1.png


Homework Equations



phase constant: y= Asin(wt +phi)

The Attempt at a Solution


2*sin(360) =0
How does one approach this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
littlejon said:

Homework Statement


View attachment 76173

Homework Equations



phase constant: y= Asin(wt +phi)

The Attempt at a Solution


2*sin(360) =0
How does one approach this problem?

Welcome to the PF.

The Relevant Equation that you list is not applicable. Look for an equation that relates the period of oscillation of a spring+mass system to the spring constant K and the mass m. (or else just derive the equation yourself from what you know about how springs and masses work...) :-)
 
Now that I look at it closely. The answer has got to be C because each oscillation is the same as the previous.
 
littlejon said:
Now that I look at it closely. The answer has got to be C because each oscillation is the same as the previous.

I don't think so. Adding mass will slow down the oscillations...
 
I see so the answer has got to be E since we know its the same cylinder it would reduce the time by twice.
 
littlejon said:
I see so the answer has got to be E since we know its the same cylinder it would reduce the time by twice.
No. You need the equation which relates period and mass.