How do planes discharge static electricity when refuelling?

In summary, planes use static dischargers on their wings to discharge static electricity while flying. To discharge static electricity while stationary and being refuelled, they use earthing straps that are connected before fuel connections are made. This is also a common practice for grounding cruise missiles during maintenance.
says
I know that planes have static dischargers (static wicks) on the trailing edges of wings to discharge static electricity when they are flying.

I was wondering how a plane, let's say with electrically resistive fibreglass wings, would discharge this without having sparks ignite while it's stationary and being refuelled?

Physics news on Phys.org
says said:
I know that planes have static dischargers (static wicks) on the trailing edges of wings to discharge static electricity when they are flying.

I was wondering how a plane, let's say with electrically resistive fibreglass wings, would discharge this without having sparks ignite while it's stationary and being refuelled?
they use earthing straps that are connected before fuel connections are made

google is your friend. there are lots of links

Last edited by a moderator:
davenn said:
they use earthing straps that are connected before fuel connections are made

Indeed. We used similar straps keep our cruise missiles grounded when not uploaded to an aircraft. One of the first steps of the prior-to-maintenance checklist is Check to ensure the missile is grounded.

I don't know how many grounding cables I nearly tripped over in my career... we'd have those things strung all over the place when the maintenance bays were full of cruise missiles awaiting maintenance.

Likes davenn, FactChecker and berkeman
Drakkith said:
Check to ensure the missile is grounded.
Wiser words have never been spoken...

Likes Drakkith
Google finds picture of Earth strap reel on refueling bowser..

groundingprocesstruckview_10662832.jpg

1. How does static electricity build up on planes during refuelling?

Static electricity builds up on planes during refuelling due to the movement of fuel through the fuel nozzle and into the plane's fuel tank. This movement causes friction, which results in the transfer of electrons from the fuel to the plane's surface, creating a build-up of static charge.

2. Why is it important for planes to discharge static electricity during refuelling?

It is important for planes to discharge static electricity during refuelling because if the static charge builds up too much, it can create a spark that could potentially ignite the fuel vapors, causing a fire or explosion. Discharging the static electricity helps to prevent this potential danger.

3. How do planes discharge static electricity when refuelling?

Planes discharge static electricity during refuelling by using a process called "grounding." This involves connecting the plane's metal components to the ground using a grounding cable. This allows the static charge to dissipate safely into the ground, preventing any potential hazards.

4. What safety measures are in place to prevent static electricity accidents during refuelling?

To prevent static electricity accidents during refuelling, several safety measures are in place. These include using grounding cables to discharge static electricity, using special fuel nozzles that minimize static build-up, and following strict protocols for refuelling procedures to minimize the risk of sparks or fires.

5. Can static electricity still be a problem after refuelling?

Yes, static electricity can still be a problem after refuelling. Even after the refuelling process is complete, there may still be some residual static charge on the plane's surface or in the fuel tank. It is essential to follow proper safety procedures, such as grounding and monitoring for any potential sparks, to ensure that any remaining static charge is safely discharged.