1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How do planes discharge static electricity when refuelling?

1. Jul 31, 2017 #1
    I know that planes have static dischargers (static wicks) on the trailing edges of wings to discharge static electricity when they are flying.

I was wondering how a plane, let's say with electrically resistive fibreglass wings, would discharge this without having sparks ignite while it's stationary and being refuelled?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

they use earthing straps that are connected before fuel connections are made

google is your friend. there are lots of links

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  4. Jul 31, 2017 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Indeed. We used similar straps keep our cruise missiles grounded when not uploaded to an aircraft. One of the first steps of the prior-to-maintenance checklist is Check to ensure the missile is grounded.

I don't know how many grounding cables I nearly tripped over in my career... we'd have those things strung all over the place when the maintenance bays were full of cruise missiles awaiting maintenance.

5. Jul 31, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Wiser words have never been spoken...

6. Jul 31, 2017 #5

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google finds picture of earth strap reel on refueling bowser..

groundingprocesstruckview_10662832.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted