Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do qualitaitve analysis work?

1. Apr 12, 2012 #1
    I usually see a specific functional group is reacted with a transition metal to forma complex producing bright colours - and we distinguish groups based on such reactions and colours

But the complex will be formed with any nucleophile ( ligand ) right?. Example:- cerric ammonium test is done for alcohols. IT forms a complex with alcohol as the the -OH group acts as a ligand producing red colour.
    But this red colour will be formed with any nucleophile as any other ligand can form the complex.

Same with other functional groups. I dont see how complex formation distinguishes these functional groups

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Different ligands produce different colors (please read about crystal field theory), correctly selecting the transition metal and conditions it is possible to make the reaction quite specific.

But I suppose false positives are possible in some cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook