How Do Wavelength Changes Affect Electron Energy Liberation?

In summary: W is the work function and fo is the threshold frequency. This relates the maximum energy of released electrons to the frequency of the incident light. In summary, the energy of the photons in the original beam can be found by doubling the energy of the half-wavelength beam, which is 10 eV. This can be compared to a money problem where the initial energy is like the money you approach with, and the work function is like the entry fee. The expression Emax = hf - W or Emax = h(f - fo) can be used to relate the maximum energy of released electrons to the frequency of the incident light.
sdecosta100

Homework Statement

When a certain light beam strikes a certain metal, 1 eV electrons are liberated. If the beam is replaced by one of half the original wavelength, 5 eV electrons are liberated. What is the energy of the photons in the original beam?

Homework Equations

Part of my confusion with this problem is I don't know of any formula that can tell me this information. The only formula that references wavelength that I've seen in class is E = hc/L where hc is a conversion factor equal to 1240 eV*nm.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I need to find out the relationship between liberating electrons and energy. When the wavelength is reduced to 1/2 L, it increases the amount of liberated electrons to 5 eV. Unfortunately, my class has no textbook, so it's very hard for me to figure this out on my own. If anyone can help me out, I'd very much appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
sdecosta100 said:

Homework Statement

When a certain light beam strikes a certain metal, 1 eV electrons are liberated. If the beam is replaced by one of half the original wavelength, 5 eV electrons are liberated. What is the energy of the photons in the original beam?

Homework Equations

Part of my confusion with this problem is I don't know of any formula that can tell me this information. The only formula that references wavelength that I've seen in class is E = hc/L where hc is a conversion factor equal to 1240 eV*nm.

I guess I need to find out the relationship between liberating electrons and energy. When the wavelength is reduced to 1/2 L, it increases the amount of liberated electrons to 5 eV. Unfortunately, my class has no textbook, so it's very hard for me to figure this out on my own. If anyone can help me out, I'd very much appreciate it!

I hope you know things like the work function of a metal - that minimum amount of energy an incoming photon [or electron] must give an atom before an electron can be released.
Also your expression E = hc/λ shows that if you halve the wavelength [λ] you double the energy.

These problems can be compared to a money problem.

You arrive at an establishment with $X. After paying the entry fee [analogy to Work Function] you get to go in, with $1 still in your pocket.
A friend arrives with twice as much money as you had [$2X]. After paying the entry fee they get to go in, with $5 still in their pocket.
How much money did you approach with?
You can also work out how much money they had, and what the entry fee was.

sdecosta100 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The expression you might be after is Emax = hf - W or Emax = h(f - fo)

Related to How Do Wavelength Changes Affect Electron Energy Liberation?

1. How do you calculate the energy of a photon?

The energy of a photon is calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is the energy in joules, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), and f is the frequency of the photon in hertz.

2. What is Planck's constant?

Planck's constant, denoted by the symbol h, is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that relates the energy of a photon to its frequency. It has a value of 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds.

3. How is the energy of a photon related to its wavelength?

The energy of a photon is inversely proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the energy of the photon decreases and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where c is the speed of light and λ is the wavelength in meters.

4. Can the energy of a photon be negative?

No, the energy of a photon cannot be negative. Photons are particles of light that carry energy and do not have a negative energy state.

5. Why is it important to calculate the energy of photons?

Calculating the energy of photons is important in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with matter. It is also crucial in various fields such as astronomy, quantum mechanics, and telecommunications. Additionally, understanding the energy of photons can help in the development of new technologies, such as solar cells, that harness the energy of photons.