Delete PMs? How to Get Rid of Private Messages

• Thread starter kyphysics
  • Start date
In summary: You can click the checkbox next to the conversation you want to leave and then click "leave" in the action selection bar.In summary, the conversation discusses the option to select specific private message conversations and the availability of a bar with options at the bottom of the screen. However, the list of actions does not include the option to delete conversations. The conversation then explores the possibility of "unjoining" or "leaving" conversations to remove them from the list. In the end, it is clarified that the action is to click the checkbox next to the conversation and then select "leave" in the action selection bar to remove it from the list.
kyphysics
I am seeing the option to "select" specific PM conversations and then a "bar" with options pops up at the bottom of my screen. However, the list of things that can be done to selected private messages/conversations does not include deleting them.

Is there a way to delete them? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can deleted them but you can "unjoin" them and I think that makes them disappear off your list.

Open your Conversations page, and you see a list of the Conversations in revers-chronological order. Each conversation has a check-box to the right side of the title or subject.

Now, far at the BOTTOM of the page, you should see a gray bar, "Conversations,..." which contains an Action Selection field with up&down arrows. Okay, I am lost. Now I have the same question as you do. How do we DELETE one or more of our Private Message Conversations?

Well, you can do exactly what I said and they will disappear from your ken forever.

phinds said:
I don't think you can deleted them but you can "unjoin" them and I think that makes them disappear off your list.

phinds said:
Well, you can do exactly what I said and they will disappear from your ken forever.
How do we make that "unjoin" selection?

Sorry, it's actually "leave"
1623115712793.png

• Informative
Likes symbolipoint

1. How do I delete private messages on my account?

To delete private messages on your account, you can go to your inbox and select the messages you want to delete. Then, click on the "Delete" button and confirm the action. Alternatively, you can also select multiple messages at once and delete them in bulk.

2. Can I recover deleted private messages?

Unfortunately, once you delete a private message, it cannot be recovered. It is permanently removed from your account. Make sure to double-check the messages you want to delete before confirming the action.

3. Are deleted private messages still visible to the other person?

No, when you delete a private message, it is removed from both your account and the recipient's account. They will no longer be able to see the message.

4. Is there a limit to the number of private messages I can delete at once?

There is no specific limit to the number of private messages you can delete at once. However, if you try to delete a large number of messages, it may take longer to process and complete the action.

5. Can I set up automatic deletion of private messages?

Currently, there is no feature to automatically delete private messages on a set schedule. You will need to manually delete them as needed.