How Do You Calculate the Area of a Regular Octagon Cut from a Square?

• Thread starter Idiotinabox
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a regular octagon formed by cutting equal triangles off each corner of a square with a side length of 1cm. The equations used involve the side length of the octagon, and the resulting solution is 0.828cm^2. However, it is also mentioned that a more simplified and exact answer is 2(√2 - 1) cm^2.
Idiotinabox

Homework Statement

The question says that there is a square that has a side of length 1cm. It then says 4 equal triangles are cut, one off each corner. The resulting shape is a regular octagon. What is its area?

Homework Equations

I believe the sides of the triangles to both be (1-x)/2 assuming we let each side of the octagon be length x. This means that length x is represented by (triangle side length)^2 + (triangle side length)^2 = x^2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I essentially let the above equations equal and I get...
(0.5 - x^2/2)^2 + (0.5 - x^2/2)^2 = x^2
Using quadratic after simplifying the above...
X= rt2 - 1
From there I let that equal x again. I find the total area of all 4 triangles and get 1- area of four triangles which leaves me with 0.828cm^2

Is this correct? I'm not convinced it is actually correct. Any guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Idiotinabox said:

Homework Statement

The question says that there is a square that has a side of length 1cm. It then says 4 equal triangles are cut, one off each corner. The resulting shape is a regular octagon. What is its area?

Homework Equations

I believe the sides of the triangles to both be (1-x)/2 assuming we let each side of the octagon be length x. This means that length x is represented by (triangle side length)^2 + (triangle side length)^2 = x^2.

X= rt2 - 1
From there I let that equal x again. I find the total area of all 4 triangles and get 1- area of four triangles which leaves me with 0.828cm^2

Is this correct? I'm not convinced it is actually correct. Any guidance?

I got that answer calculating a different way, so it is probably correct.

Idiotinabox said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

X= rt2 - 1

That's correct, but why give a decimal approximation when you have an exact answer:$$
1-\frac 2 {(\sqrt 2 + 2)^2}$$

A better simplification would be 2(√2 - 1)

1. How do you find the area of an octagon?

To find the area of an octagon, you can use the formula A = (2 + 2√2) * s^2, where s is the length of one side of the octagon. This formula takes into account the fact that an octagon can be divided into 8 isosceles triangles, each with a base equal to one side of the octagon. By finding the area of one of these triangles and multiplying it by 8, you can find the total area of the octagon.

2. What is the difference between a regular and irregular octagon?

A regular octagon has all equal sides and angles, whereas an irregular octagon has sides and angles of varying lengths and measures. This means that finding the area of a regular octagon is simpler and only requires the length of one side, while finding the area of an irregular octagon may require more complex calculations.

3. Can you use the Pythagorean theorem to find the area of an octagon?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to right triangles. Since an octagon is a polygon with 8 sides and angles, it cannot be divided into right triangles. Therefore, the Pythagorean theorem cannot be used to find the area of an octagon.

4. Is there a shortcut for finding the area of an octagon?

Yes, if you know the length of one side of the octagon, you can use the formula A = 2 * (1 + √2) * s^2 to find the area. This formula is derived from the previous formula and can be used as a shortcut to find the area of a regular octagon.

5. Can the area of an octagon be negative?

No, the area of any shape cannot be negative. The area represents the space enclosed by the shape and can only be a positive value. If you are getting a negative value when finding the area of an octagon, it is likely that an error has been made in the calculations.