How Do You Calculate the Meeting Point of Two Hockey Players on Ice?

• Thread starter Eric [Tsu]
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the hockey player standing on the frozen pond chases his opponent, who is moving at a constant speed of 15 m/s with the puck. After 3.5 seconds, the chaser accelerates at 4.0 m/s^2. It takes him approximately 6.67 seconds to catch his opponent, and he travels a distance of 223.33 m in this time.
Eric [Tsu]
1. A hockey player is standing on his skates on a frozen pond when an opposing player, moving with a uniform speed of 15 m/s, skates by with the puck. After 3.5 s, the first player makes up his mind to chase his opponent.

(a) If he accelerates uniformly at 4.0 m/s^2, how long does it take him to catch his opponent? (Assume the player with the puck remains in motion at constant speed.)

(b) How far has he traveled in this time?
I've tried to solve it by coming up with an equation for the position of each player, and set them equal to each other. Equation for the player who is chasing: X = v*t

I'm not sure what formula to manipulate in order to come up with an equation for the position of the player being chased.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
My bad, I wrote it opposite. X = v*t is for opponents position

Remember the opponent will have traveled some distance in the thinking time as well. Is there any equations in the link I gave that you can see helping you for the chasing player?

X = Xi + Vi(t) + 1/2(a)(t^2)

Xi = 52.5
Vi = 0
a = 4

Chaser --> X = 52.5 + 1/2(4)(t^2)
Opponent --> X = v*t

Lost at this point

It would be best to add the distance the opponent has traveled onto the opponents equation and just have the acceleration in the chasers equation. From there you want to make them equal and then you will have a quadratic equation in t to solve.

Eric [Tsu];1758628 said:
1. A hockey player is standing on his skates on a frozen pond when an opposing player, moving with a uniform speed of 15 m/s, skates by with the puck. After 3.5 s, the first player makes up his mind to chase his opponent.

(a) If he accelerates uniformly at 4.0 m/s^2, how long does it take him to catch his opponent? (Assume the player with the puck remains in motion at constant speed.)

(b) How far has he traveled in this time?

I've tried to solve it by coming up with an equation for the position of each player, and set them equal to each other. Equation for the player who is chasing: X = v*t

I'm not sure what formula to manipulate in order to come up with an equation for the position of the player being chased.

Thanks in advance.

The initial separation is (15*3.5)=52.5 m
Let they meet after "t" seconds
15t=0.5*4*(t*t)+52.5
solve for "t"

Related to How Do You Calculate the Meeting Point of Two Hockey Players on Ice?

What is kinematics for a hockey player?

Kinematics for a hockey player refers to the study of the motion of a hockey player without considering the forces that cause the motion. It includes the analysis of position, velocity, and acceleration of the player during a game.

Why is kinematics important for a hockey player?

Kinematics is important for a hockey player as it helps in understanding and improving their performance. It also allows coaches to analyze and correct any flaws in a player's technique, leading to better overall performance.

What are the key kinematic quantities for a hockey player?

The key kinematic quantities for a hockey player include position, velocity, and acceleration. Position refers to the location of the player on the ice, velocity is the rate of change of position, and acceleration is the rate of change of velocity.

How can kinematics be used to improve a hockey player's performance?

Kinematics can be used to improve a hockey player's performance by analyzing their movement patterns and identifying areas of improvement. This can help in optimizing techniques, increasing speed and agility, and reducing the risk of injury.

Can kinematics be used to predict the outcome of a hockey game?

Kinematics alone cannot be used to predict the outcome of a hockey game as it does not take into account external factors such as strategy, teamwork, and opponent's performance. However, it can provide valuable insights into a player's performance and contribute to the overall understanding of the game.