How Do You Calculate the Period of Oscillation for a Physical Pendulum?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
Shatzkinator
Messages
52
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A physical pendulum consists of 4.8 m long sticks joined together as shown in Fig. 15-43. What is the pendulum's period of oscillation about a pin inserted through point A at the center of the horizontal stick?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c15/fig15_43.gif




Homework Equations


w = sqt(MgL/I)
T = 2pi/w
I = 1/12ml^2 + 1/3ml^2
L = l/4

The Attempt at a Solution



I solved for I using the above equation 3, solved for L using equation 4, plugged these values into equation 1 getting angular velocity. Then I solved for T in equation 2 and I do not get the correct answer.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
you have to acount for the fact that the centre of mass of the T-shaped pendulum is positioned higher then it would with just a simple one-stick pendulum
 
timon said:
you have to acount for the fact that the centre of mass of the T-shaped pendulum is positioned higher then it would with just a simple one-stick pendulum

how do i take that into account..?
 
davieddy said:
Wot: no string this time?

What? lol

what are you asking
 
Shatzkinator said:
What? lol

what are you asking

Refererence to "string+sphere" thread.

Your pendulum seems to be more rigid, but the problem
emphasizes the impotency of the moronic reliance on formulae.
 
davieddy said:
Refererence to "string+sphere" thread.

Your pendulum seems to be more rigid, but the problem
emphasizes the impotency of the moronic reliance on formulae.

Yea.. that doesn't help much =P
 
Shatzkinator said:
Yea.. that doesn't help much =P

Could anyone else please provide some input?
 
L is the distance between the pivot and c of m
You said "1/4"
It is 4.8m/4