How Do You Calculate the pH of a Mixed NH4OH and NH4Cl Solution?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the pH of a solution containing 0.65 M NH4OH and 0.35 M NH4Cl. The Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is recommended to be used for this buffer solution. However, the individual dissociation of NH4OH and NH4+ is also mentioned. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using a different Kb value and the importance of considering the acidic dissociation of NH4+.
tua28494
This isn't really homework, Its just a problem I'm trying to learn to solve. I'm not taking a chemistry course so I'm learning on my own.

Calculate the pH of a solution that is 0.65 M NH4OH and 0.35 M NH4Cl.

Well we can calulate the pOH = -log(OH-) and 14-pOH = pH

I guess I need the equilibrium concentration of OH-.

here is the chemical formula. I believe is necessary

NH4OH -> NH4SUB]+/SUP] + OH-/SUP]
the Kb/SUB] =1.5 x 10-3SUP]

Physics news on Phys.org
Without using the Henderson–Hasselbalch equation, Can I do this?
also different Kb value.

The NN4CL will completely dissociate adding 0.35 NH4

NH4OH -> NH4+ + OH-
0.65-x. 0.35+x. . x

H2O + NH3 -> NH4+ + OH-

Kb =1.8 x 10^-5 = [NH4+][OH-]/[NH3]= (0.35+x)(x)/ 0.65-x

x = [OH-]=0.000033 M

pOH = 4.5
pH = 14 - pOH = 14 - 4.5 =9.5

This is correct by accident.

You look at the dissociation of NH4OH, but you ignore acidic dissociation of NH4+.

NH4+ <-> NH3 + H+

Why?

My bet is that if you will try to do calculations using your approach and based on this reaction, you will get almost the same result, again accidentally.

For very small x (compared with 0.35 & 0.65), is (0.35+x)/(0.65-x) substantially different from 0.35/0.65?

--
methods

Hello! It's great that you are learning about pH and trying to solve problems on your own. To calculate the pH of this solution, we need to first understand the chemical reaction that is occurring. NH4OH is a weak base, which means it partially dissociates in water to form NH4+ and OH- ions. The equation you wrote is correct:

NH4OH -> NH4+ + OH-

The equilibrium constant for this reaction is called Kb, and it is equal to the concentration of NH4+ ions multiplied by the concentration of OH- ions, divided by the concentration of NH4OH. In this case, the concentration of NH4OH is 0.65 M, so we can set up the equation:

Kb = [NH4+][OH-]/[NH4OH]

Substituting the values we know, we get:

1.5 x 10^-3 = (0.35)(x)/(0.65)

where x represents the concentration of OH- ions. Solving for x, we get x = 4.62 x 10^-4 M.

Now, we can use this value to calculate the pOH and pH of the solution:

pOH = -log(4.62 x 10^-4) = 3.34

pH = 14 - pOH = 14 - 3.34 = 10.66

Therefore, the pH of this solution is 10.66. I hope this helps you understand how to solve problems like this in the future. Keep learning and exploring the world of chemistry!

1. What is pH and why is it important in chemistry?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is important in chemistry because it helps determine the chemical properties and reactions of substances. It also plays a crucial role in biological processes, as many enzymes and other biological molecules are sensitive to changes in pH.

2. How is pH measured?

pH is measured on a scale of 0-14 using a pH meter or pH paper. A pH meter uses a glass electrode and measures the voltage of the solution, which is then converted into a pH value. pH paper contains a universal indicator that changes color based on the acidity or basicity of the solution.

3. What is the difference between acidic and basic solutions?

An acidic solution has a pH below 7, while a basic solution has a pH above 7. Acids are substances that donate hydrogen ions (H+) in a solution, while bases are substances that accept hydrogen ions or donate hydroxide ions (OH-) in a solution.

4. How does temperature affect the pH of a solution?

Temperature can affect the pH of a solution in two ways. Firstly, it can directly impact the dissociation of ions in a solution, which can alter the concentration of hydrogen ions and thus change the pH. Secondly, temperature can affect the accuracy of pH measurements, as pH meters and pH paper are calibrated at a specific temperature.

5. What factors can cause a change in the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be affected by several factors, including the concentration of acids or bases in the solution, the presence of other substances that can react with acids or bases, temperature, and pressure. pH can also be affected by dilution, where the addition of water can change the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution.