How Do You Derive y' from e^(xy) + xy = 2?

• Thread starter Rhduke
  • Start date
In summary: Yea, there's a few mistakes here. Firstly, you can't just take the logarithm of each term individually; you need to take the logarithm of each side. That's if you even want to take logs in the first place.To be honest, I can't see how to do this; the implicit derivative of e^xy is bothering me. I'm blaming it on the fact that it's late!Cristo he did take ln of both sides. It has just been simplified since the lne^(xy) is just xy. Have some tea!Then we have product rule+chain rule=0Cristo he did take ln of both
Rhduke

Homework Statement

e^(xy) + xy = 2, find y'

the actual answer is -(y/x)

The Attempt at a Solution

xy + lnxy = ln2
xy' + y + 1/x + y'/y = 1/2
xy' + 1/y (y') = 1/2 - y -1/x
y'(x + 1/y) = 1/2 - y - 1/x
y' = (1/2 - y - 1/x)/(x+1/y)

i simplified it further but could not get the right answer. help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
I see you are using implicit diferentiation, good. Now the derivative of
ln(2) is NOT 1/2.

Casey

Yea, there's a few mistakes here. Firstly, you can't just take the logarithm of each term individually; you need to take the logarithm of each side. That's if you even want to take logs in the first place.

To be honest, I can't see how to do this; the implicit derivative of e^xy is bothering me. I'm blaming it on the fact that it's late!

cristo said:
Yea, there's a few mistakes here. Firstly, you can't just take the logarithm of each term individually; you need to take the logarithm of each side. That's if you even want to take logs in the first place.

To be honest, I can't see how to do this; the implicit derivative of e^xy is bothering me. I'm blaming it on the fact that it's late!

Cristo he did take ln of both sides. It has just been simplified since the lne^(xy) is just xy. Have some tea!

Then we have product rule+chain rule=0

Saladsamurai said:
Cristo he did take ln of both sides. It has just been simplified since the lne^(xy) is just xy. Have some tea!

Is that aimed at my British-ness? :smile:

However, he didn't. If I have an expression [itex]e^{xy}+a=b[/itex] then taking logarithm of both sides yields [itex]\ln(e^{xy}+a)=\ln(b)[/itex]. Now, [itex]\ln(v+w)\neq\ln(v)+\ln(w)[/itex] so the equation cannot be simplified as he has done in the OP.

Oh i keep forgeting u can't distribute ln :rolleyes:

ok i c what your saying so then i get:

ln(e^xy(x)(y)) = ln2
1/[e^xy(x)(y)] (e^xy) (xy' + y) + e^xy (xy' + y) = 0
(xy' + y)(1/xy + e^xy) = 0
xy' + y = 0
y' = -(y/x)

thank u all for your help!

How did you get your first line? Taking the logarithm of your expression gives [itex]\ln(e^{xy}+xy)=\ln 2[/itex]

er oh... i just realized i did that wrong, strangely it worked, ok i fixed it:

1/(e^xy + xy) (e^xy) (xy' + y) + (xy' + y) = 0
(xy' + y)[(e^xy)/(e^xy + xy) + 1] = 0
xy' + y = 0
y' = -(y/x)

my brain gets big picture but misses the small details :cry:

[tex]e^{xy}+xy=2[/tex]

[tex]e^{xy}=2-xy[/tex]

now take the ln of both sides and differentiate

cristo said:
Is that aimed at my British-ness? :smile:

Yes. And apparently, I need the tea...oh wait, here is some over here:blushing:

Casey

Related to How Do You Derive y' from e^(xy) + xy = 2?

1. What is the equation we are trying to solve?

The equation we are trying to solve is e^(xy) + xy = 2, where we are looking for the value of y.

2. What is the importance of solving this equation?

This equation has applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It allows us to find the relationship between two variables and make predictions based on the values of those variables.

3. What is the general approach to solving this equation?

The general approach to solving this equation involves isolating the variable y on one side of the equation and then taking the natural logarithm of both sides. This will allow us to solve for y using algebraic manipulation.

4. What are the possible solutions to this equation?

There can be multiple solutions to this equation, depending on the values of x and y. The solutions can be real or complex numbers.

5. Is there a specific method or formula to solve this equation?

There is no specific formula or method for solving this equation, but it can be solved through algebraic manipulation and the use of logarithms. It may require multiple steps and substitutions to arrive at the final solution.