How do you determine conservation of momentum

In summary: But seriously, as you can see, your change in momentum is significantly larger than your error of change in momentum, so it does not have to be lower in order to prove conservation of momentum. In fact, it is preferable to have a larger change in momentum, as it provides a more accurate measurement. Your procedures may not prove conservation of momentum, but they can still provide valuable data and insights into the system you are studying. As for proving conservation of momentum, it involves carefully controlling and measuring the initial and final momenta of a system, taking into account any external forces or factors that may affect the results. Thank you for sharing your experiment with us and welcome to the forum!
NewDaddyJones
In my lab, I have the change in momentum = -8.00 x 10-3 and my error of change in momentum = 1.22 x 10-3.

Does my change in momentum have to be lower than my error of conservation in order to prove conservation of momentum? Then none of my procedures prove this, even though my average error of time is 3.95 x 10-3.

Physics news on Phys.org
-4.00 x 10-3

That was wrong because you have to account for the errors of initial momentum and final momentum. I'm just asking how do you prove conservation of momentum, anyway, not any specific values.

Could you perhaps elaborate on your experiment, as well as giving us some units to your measurements.

Welcome to PF!

Hi NewDaddyJones! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
NewDaddyJones said:
In my lab, I have the change in momentum = -8.00 x 10-3 and my error of change in momentum = 1.22 x 10-3.

Does my change in momentum have to be lower than my error of conservation in order to prove conservation of momentum? Then none of my procedures prove this, even though my average error of time is 3.95 x 10-3.

if your measurement is 8.00 10-3, and your error is 1.22 10-3, then that's 8.00 ± 1.22 10-3, which isn't zero!

Congratulations! :approve:

You have successfully disproved most of classical physics! :wink:

FAQ: How do you determine conservation of momentum

1. How is momentum defined in physics?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

3. How is conservation of momentum applied in real-world scenarios?

The principle of conservation of momentum is applied in many real-world scenarios, such as collisions between objects, rocket propulsion, and the movement of particles in a fluid. It is also used in sports, such as billiards and ice skating, to predict the trajectories of objects.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in terms of conservation of momentum?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum before and after the collision remains the same, and there is no loss of kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, and some kinetic energy is lost in the form of heat, sound, or deformation.

5. How is conservation of momentum related to Newton's third law of motion?

Newton's third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in a collision, the force exerted on one object by the other is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. This leads to the conservation of momentum, as the total momentum must remain constant in order for the forces to be balanced.