1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you do a sign function?

1. Oct 5, 2005 #1

box

I have always used a calculator to find the sin when the angle is given. But how would you figure this out if you didn't have a calculator

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Look up in a sine table.

4. Oct 5, 2005 #3

krab

Science Advisor

[tex]\sin x=x-x^3/6+x^5/120-...[/tex]
    One can use the symmetries of the function to avoid large values of x (where convergence is slow) and only ever have to calculate with x as large as pi/2. For example, sin(2)=sin(pi-2)=sin(1.14159..). One can even do better by using the expansion of cosine:
    [tex]\cos x=1-x^2/2+x^4/24-...[/tex]
    Then using sin^2+cos^2=1, you only need the series up to x=pi/4. The series converges very quickly for such small x.

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4
    ...and to a limited extent you can calculate them by hand using the angles you already know (30, 45, 60, 90, etc.) with identities such as the double and half-angle formulas.

6. Oct 6, 2005 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can use the Taylor's series for sin(x)= x- x2/2+ x4/4!- x6/6!+ ... where the general term is (-1)nx2n/(2n)! and a few terms should get you pretty good accuracy.

My understanding is that calculators and computers actually use the "CORDIC" method:
    http://www.dspguru.com/info/faqs/cordic.htm

7. Oct 6, 2005 #6

VietDao29

Homework Helper

There's a slight error there... You just mixed up the Taylor expansion for sin(x), and cos(x) :smile:.
    [tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x ^ 3}{3!} + \frac{x ^ 5}{5!} - \frac{x ^ 7}{7!} + ... = \sum_{n = 0} ^ {\infty} \frac{(-1) ^ n}{(2n + 1)!} x ^ {2n + 1}[/tex]
    [tex]\cos x = 1 - \frac{x ^ 2}{2!} + \frac{x ^ 4}{4!} - \frac{x ^ 6}{6!} + ... = \sum_{n = 0} ^ {\infty} \frac{(-1) ^ n}{(2n)!} x ^ {2n}[/tex]
    Viet Dao,

8. Oct 7, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oops!

No wonder I keep getting my trig problems wrong!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook