How do you find the Limit of this? (L'Hopitals Rule)

• Thread starter Rnotaria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of the square root of (4x squared plus x) minus 2x as x approaches infinity can be solved by factoring out x and simplifying the expression, without the use of L'Hopital's Rule.
Rnotaria
Limit √(4x^(2)+x) -2x
x→∞
(Should read like: Square root of (4x squared plus x) minus 2x

I know you have to use L'Hopital's rule and I multiplied it by the conjugate to get a denominator, but every time I apply the rule it just goes on an infinite loop. Does anyone know how to solve this please?

Answer is 1/4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to review when you can use L'Hopital and when you can't.

If your limit is truly what you have written, it doesn't exist.

The answer is supposed to be 1/4 though. And the homework assignment is all about L'Hopital's Rule.

I think SteamKing needs to adjust his sauna. :smile:

Show us what you got when you multiplied by the conjugate. At that point you should be able to evaluate it without LH's rule. Think about putting all the ##x##'s in the denominator.

After multiplying by the conjugate I got:

Lim x/[(4x^2+x)^.5 +2x]
x→∞

Which should read: x over the square root of (4x squared plus x) + 2x

Then when I apply the rule it just goes on an infinite loop where the square root of 4x squared plus x alternates between being on top and bottom

Rnotaria said:

Lim x/[(4x^2+x)^.5 +2x]
x→∞

Then when I apply the rule it just goes on an infinite loop where the square root of 4x squared plus x alternates between being on top and bottom
Factor x out of the numerator and denominator, and then you'll be able to take the limit without the use of L'Hopital's Rule.

You'll need to factor x2 out of the terms in the radical so that it becomes x outside of the radical.

Mark44 said:
Factor x out of the numerator and denominator, and then you'll be able to take the limit without the use of L'Hopital's Rule.

You'll need to factor x2 out of the terms in the radical so that it becomes x outside of the radical.

Are you allowed to factor x out of something raised to a power though?

Sure. For example, (a3b6)2 = (a2b2 * ab4)2 = (a2b2)2 * (ab4)2.

I'd not try to use de L'Hospital's rule here but expand the root appropriately for [itex]x \gg 1[/itex], using
[tex]\sqrt{4 x^2+x}=2x \sqrt{1+\frac{1}{4 x}}.[/tex]
Then it's pretty easy to find the limit.

LCKurtz said:
Show us what you got when you multiplied by the conjugate. At that point you should be able to evaluate it without LH's rule. Think about putting all the ##x##'s in the denominator.

Please quote the post to which you are replying, which I assume is mine, quoted above.

Rnotaria said:

Lim x/[(4x^2+x)^.5 +2x]
x→∞

Did you not read my post? Why are you telling me again that LH rule doesn't work when I just suggested a way to do it without LH's rule?

FAQ: How do you find the Limit of this? (L'Hopitals Rule)

1. What is L'Hopital's Rule?

L'Hopital's Rule is a mathematical concept that allows us to find limits of indeterminate forms, where both the numerator and denominator approach zero or infinity.

2. When can L'Hopital's Rule be applied?

L'Hopital's Rule can be applied when taking the limit of a fraction where both the numerator and denominator approach zero or infinity, and the limit is in an indeterminate form such as 0/0 or ∞/∞.

3. How do you use L'Hopital's Rule to find a limit?

To use L'Hopital's Rule, you first take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. Then, you evaluate the limit again using the new derivatives. If the limit is still in an indeterminate form, you can repeat this process until the limit is no longer indeterminate.

4. Are there any limitations to using L'Hopital's Rule?

Yes, L'Hopital's Rule can only be applied to limits that are in an indeterminate form. It cannot be used for limits that are not in an indeterminate form, such as when the denominator approaches a non-zero constant or when the limit is undefined.

5. Can L'Hopital's Rule be used for all types of functions?

No, L'Hopital's Rule can only be applied to functions that are differentiable, meaning they have a derivative at every point. It also cannot be used for functions that are discontinuous or have infinite oscillations.