How do you get rid of dry and patchy skins

• Thread starter mikehudson
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is experiencing side effects from taking oral ketoconazole, including rashes and dry skin, and is seeking advice on how to manage these symptoms. They are also concerned about the medication's potential impact on their liver and are looking for recommendations on how to improve their skin's appearance. They have also mentioned using a non-pore clogging moisturizer and having previously had flawless skin.
mikehudson
In this situation I have to take the oral ketoconazole, so stopping the medicine is not a choice. I know someone in this world has rid of this side effect before. When taking ketoconazole, I get rashes, patches of dry skin, and dry skin. The skin is only problem but it’s destroying my life. There has to be some cream or medication to make my skin normal again. While I continue to take oral ketoconazole, please help me figure this out. If it helps at all the oral ketoconazole is making my hair black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mikehudson said:
In this situation I have to take the oral ketoconazole, so stopping the medicine is not a choice. I know someone in this world has rid of this side effect before. When taking ketoconazole, I get rashes, patches of dry skin, and dry skin. The skin is only problem but it’s destroying my life. There has to be some cream or medication to make my skin normal again. While I continue to take oral ketoconazole, please help me figure this out. If it helps at all the oral ketoconazole is making my hair black.

From wikipedia I see:

The less toxic and more effective triazole compounds fluconazole and itraconazole have largely replaced ketoconazole for internal use.

Are you sure you can't use one of those?

Have you called your doctor about these rashes? Rashes are a side effect that should be reported. Though, if you're taking it for a systemic fungal infection (there are several uses of the drug, and you need not reveal which it is you're using it for if you don't want to), then the rash may not be a side effect, but a symptom of the disease you're treating. If it's worsening while taking the drug, you still want to contact your physician in case your infection isn't responding to the treatment and you need to change to a different drug.

If your physician decides this is neither the disease you're treating, nor an indicator of a worse side effect, then perhaps s/he can refer you to a dermatologist familiar with your condition, the drug and its interactions/contraindications, and have them determine a course of action to alleviate the rashes in conjunction with your primary care physician. Ketoconazole has such a long list of drug interactions and contraindications, including even certain vitamin supplements, that I would strongly suggest you steer clear of any "home remedies" suggested by folks online. This sounds like something you really need to address with your physician.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682816.html

mikehudson said:
Dry skin may be the least of your problems with oral keto. You should be aware that it can potentially destroy your liver. Did you carefully read the list of "adverse effects/contraindications"? Talk to the doctor who prescribed it, or see a dermatologist.

How is your diet?

Is your soap perhaps too astringent?

mikehudson said:
I keep getting whiteheads on my forehead that get out of control, and blackheads on my nose and cheeks... I have dry skin, and use a light nonpore clogging moisturizer... Up till this past month I has had flawless skin... Help!
Also, how do I even out my skin tone? - Lately my skin has looked patchy and off tone.

1. How can I prevent my skin from becoming dry and patchy?

To prevent dry and patchy skin, it is important to maintain a consistent skincare routine. This includes using a gentle cleanser, moisturizing daily, and exfoliating regularly to remove dead skin cells. Additionally, avoiding harsh chemicals and using sunscreen can also help prevent dryness.

2. What are some natural remedies for dry and patchy skin?

Some natural remedies for dry and patchy skin include using aloe vera, coconut oil, and honey. These ingredients have moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties that can help soothe and hydrate the skin. Additionally, incorporating foods high in healthy fats, such as avocados and nuts, into your diet can also help improve skin hydration.

3. Can certain lifestyle habits contribute to dry and patchy skin?

Yes, certain lifestyle habits can contribute to dry and patchy skin. These include excessive sun exposure, smoking, and a poor diet lacking in essential nutrients. It is important to protect your skin from the sun, avoid smoking, and maintain a balanced and healthy diet to keep your skin hydrated and healthy.

4. How can I treat dry and patchy skin?

Treating dry and patchy skin involves restoring moisture and nourishment to the skin. This can be achieved by using a hydrating moisturizer, incorporating a hydrating serum or face oil into your routine, and using a gentle exfoliator to remove dead skin cells. In severe cases, a dermatologist may prescribe a topical medication or recommend a professional treatment.

5. Are there any medical conditions that can cause dry and patchy skin?

Yes, there are certain medical conditions that can cause dry and patchy skin. These include eczema, psoriasis, and hypothyroidism. If you are experiencing persistent dryness and patchiness despite proper skincare, it is important to consult with a dermatologist to rule out any underlying medical conditions.