How do you get the color singlet combination of quarks?

In summary: The representation theory of SU(3), however tells you how to build singlets in terms of its various representations. For quarks the color group is realized in the socalled fundamental representiation, i.e., in the vector space ##\mathbb{C}^3##. There are two non-equivalent three-dimensional representations of SU(3), which is given by the fundamental and the conjugate complex representation (in the more familiar case of SU(2) these two representations are equivalent).If you have only quarks, i.e., only the fundamental representation, SU(3) representation theory tells you that you need three quarks, and the only way to build a color singlet is
shinwolf14
I was reading my book and it states that the lack of anti-symmetry in the total wave function of the Δ++ particle led to the introduction of the missing degree of freedom, or color. It states that free particles are colorless so they must be in color singlet states. From there, it just lists the unnormalized anti-symmetric color singlet state as

rbg-rgb+grb-gbr+bgr-brg

I don't understand how they jumped from that statement to the equation. Where does this come from? Does it have to do with SU(3) symmetry? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a very simple idea: the ##\Delta^{++}## is made by three identical particle with all the same quantum numbers except for color. Since they are all identical fermions and none of the possible 3 pairs can be in the exact same state this means that the color of each of them must be different from that of the others (i.e. rbg). However, you also know that the total colo wave function must be anti-symmetric and so you need to anti-symmetrize the rbg state with respect to all possible exchange of two particles. This gives the color wave function that you wrote.

Likes vanhees71
It's of course also derivable from group theory, although it's not necessary here because of Einj 's explanation.

The representation theory of SU(3), however tells you how to build singlets in terms of its various representations. For quarks the color group is realized in the socalled fundamental representiation, i.e., in the vector space ##\mathbb{C}^3##. There are two non-equivalent three-dimensional representations of SU(3), which is given by the fundamental and the conjugate complex representation (in the more familiar case of SU(2) these two representations are equivalent).

If you have only quarks, i.e., only the fundamental representation, SU(3) representation theory tells you that you need three quarks, and the only way to build a color singlet is to use the totally antisymmetric product state for the color-degree of freedom. The final result, explained by Einj is thus unique.

shinwolf14 said:
I was reading my book and it states that the lack of anti-symmetry in the total wave function of the Δ++ particle led to the introduction of the missing degree of freedom, or color. It states that free particles are colorless so they must be in color singlet states. From there, it just lists the unnormalized anti-symmetric color singlet state as

rbg-rgb+grb-gbr+bgr-brg

I don't understand how they jumped from that statement to the equation. Where does this come from? Does it have to do with SU(3) symmetry? Any help would be greatly appreciated
In any group, a singlet is obtained by contracting (relevant) tensors with the appropriate invariant tensor of the group. So, for [itex]SU_{c}(3)[/itex] the invariant tensor is [itex]\epsilon_{i j k}[/itex] and the 3-quark tensor in the question is [itex]T^{i j k} = q^{i} q^{j} q^{k}[/itex], where [itex]q^{1} = r , \ \ q^{2} = b , \ \ q^{3} = g[/itex]. Therefore [tex]\Delta^{+ +} = \epsilon_{i j k} q^{i} q^{j} q^{k} .[/tex]

Related to How do you get the color singlet combination of quarks?

1. How do you determine the color singlet combination of quarks?

The color singlet combination of quarks is determined by considering the color charges of the individual quarks and combining them in a way that results in a neutral color state. This means that the sum of the color charges of the quarks must equal zero, resulting in a colorless or white state.

2. What is the significance of the color singlet combination of quarks?

The color singlet combination of quarks is significant because it is a fundamental principle of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the quarks together to form larger particles such as protons and neutrons. Without a color singlet combination, the force between the quarks would be too strong and they would not be able to form bound states.

3. Can the color singlet combination of quarks change?

Yes, the color singlet combination of quarks can change through the process of strong force interactions. These interactions can result in the exchange of gluons, which carry a color charge, between quarks, leading to a change in their overall color state.

4. Are there any exceptions to the color singlet combination rule?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the color singlet combination rule. One example is the formation of bound states of three quarks, known as baryons, where the three quarks can combine in a way that results in a color-neutral state without each individual quark having a color charge of zero.

5. How does the concept of color singlet combination relate to the concept of color confinement?

The concept of color singlet combination is closely related to the concept of color confinement. Color confinement refers to the fact that quarks cannot exist as free particles in nature, but must always be bound together in color-neutral combinations. This is due to the strong force being too strong to allow for individual quarks to exist outside of bound states. The color singlet combination is necessary for the formation of these bound states and therefore plays a crucial role in color confinement.