1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How do you know for sure what quadrant?

1. Mar 29, 2004 #1
    hello all! how do you know for sure which quadrant "they" want you to have your measure in?

for example:

Write each equation in normal form. Then find p, the measure of its normal, and "phi" the angle the normal makes with the positive x-axis.

21.-10x+5=-5y
    i've got all the other stuff, it's just that when it comes to the angle measure of "phi," i get sonfused. I don't know how to recognize in which quadrant it should be. for this, I thought that it was this measure:
    -26.57..........but the correct answer was 333 degrees, approximately.

i know that they got this by adding 360 to -26 degrees, but WHY I don't know. :confused:

thanks in advance for any help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2004 #2

Janitor

Science Advisor

For the original line, the rise over run is 2/1. I'm sure you got that far.

The angle that such a line makes to the horizontal axis is arctan(2).

The angle the normal to that line makes to the horizontal axis is arctan(2) - 90, and it is pointing into quadrant IV, so it can be thought of as a negative angle. That gives you -26.56 degrees, or so says my calculator.

Looking at it as an angle swung counterclockwise (the positive direction of rotation in the plane, by convention) from a ray going horizontally to the right, the angle is 360 - 26.56 = 333.43.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?