How do you know for sure what quadrant?

• Thread starter mathzeroh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the angle measure of "phi" for a given equation in normal form. The key is to find the normal to the line and use the arctan function to determine the angle. The normal in this case is pointing into quadrant IV, so the angle is considered negative. Adding 360 degrees to this negative angle gives the correct answer of 333 degrees.
mathzeroh
hello all! how do you know for sure which quadrant "they" want you to have your measure in?

for example:

Write each equation in normal form. Then find p, the measure of its normal, and "phi" the angle the normal makes with the positive x-axis.

21.-10x+5=-5y
i've got all the other stuff, it's just that when it comes to the angle measure of "phi," i get sonfused. I don't know how to recognize in which quadrant it should be. for this, I thought that it was this measure:
-26.57...but the correct answer was 333 degrees, approximately.

i know that they got this by adding 360 to -26 degrees, but WHY I don't know. :confused:

thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
For the original line, the rise over run is 2/1. I'm sure you got that far.

The angle that such a line makes to the horizontal axis is arctan(2).

The angle the normal to that line makes to the horizontal axis is arctan(2) - 90, and it is pointing into quadrant IV, so it can be thought of as a negative angle. That gives you -26.56 degrees, or so says my calculator.

Looking at it as an angle swung counterclockwise (the positive direction of rotation in the plane, by convention) from a ray going horizontally to the right, the angle is 360 - 26.56 = 333.43.

Last edited:
!

Determining the quadrant for an angle or normal can be tricky, but there are a few key things to keep in mind. First, the x-axis is considered the reference line for angles and normals. This means that any angle or normal is measured from the positive x-axis, which is typically drawn pointing to the right.

To determine which quadrant an angle or normal is in, you need to look at the signs of the coordinates. In the example given, the equation is in the form of -10x+5=-5y, which can be rewritten as y = (-10/5)x + 1.

Since the coefficient of x is negative, the slope of the line is negative. This means that the line will be in either the second or fourth quadrant. To determine which one, you need to look at the y-intercept, which is 1 in this case.

In the second quadrant, both x and y coordinates are negative, so the angle or normal would have a negative slope and a positive y-intercept. In the fourth quadrant, both x and y coordinates are positive, so the angle or normal would have a negative slope and a negative y-intercept.

In this case, the y-intercept is positive, so the angle or normal is in the second quadrant. Now, to find the measure of phi, you need to find the reference angle first. This is the angle formed between the line and the x-axis, measured in a counterclockwise direction.

To find the reference angle, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) on a calculator. In this case, the reference angle is approximately 26.57 degrees.

To find the actual angle, you need to add or subtract 360 degrees depending on which quadrant the angle is in. In the second quadrant, you need to subtract 360 degrees from the reference angle to get 333 degrees.

In summary, to determine the quadrant for an angle or normal, you need to look at the signs of the coordinates and use the reference line of the x-axis. To find the measure of phi, you first find the reference angle and then add or subtract 360 degrees depending on the quadrant. With practice, you will become more familiar with recognizing the quadrant and finding the correct angle measure.

1. How do you determine which quadrant a point is in on a coordinate plane?

In order to determine which quadrant a point is in, you need to look at the sign of both the x-coordinate and the y-coordinate. If the x-coordinate is positive and the y-coordinate is positive, the point is in the first quadrant. If the x-coordinate is negative and the y-coordinate is positive, the point is in the second quadrant. If the x-coordinate is negative and the y-coordinate is negative, the point is in the third quadrant. And if the x-coordinate is positive and the y-coordinate is negative, the point is in the fourth quadrant.

2. What is the purpose of dividing the coordinate plane into quadrants?

The purpose of dividing the coordinate plane into quadrants is to provide a way to locate points on a two-dimensional plane. It helps to identify the position of a point in relation to the origin (0, 0) and to other points on the plane.

3. How do you know which quadrant a point is in if the coordinates are fractions or decimals?

The same rules apply for determining the quadrant of a point with fractional or decimal coordinates. You just need to keep in mind that positive fractions or decimals are in the same quadrant as positive whole numbers, and negative fractions or decimals are in the same quadrant as negative whole numbers.

4. Can a point be in more than one quadrant?

No, a point can only be in one quadrant at a time. Each point on a coordinate plane has a unique location and can only belong to one of the four quadrants.

5. Are there any instances where the rules for determining the quadrant of a point do not apply?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the rules for determining the quadrant of a point. These exceptions occur when the point is located on one of the axes (x-axis or y-axis) or at the origin (0, 0). In these cases, the point is not considered to be in any quadrant.